Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #1
Thomas Grant
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Inspiring Movie Scene Featuring Pipers

Years ago I saw a movie in which there was a scene of a dozen or so pipers shown in open formation wading up onto a beach, piping (probably Scotland the Brave), as soldiers (commandos?) came charging up through their ranks, continuing onward to engage the enemy. Inspirational!

As I recall, the leader may have been Peter Lawford or James Mason or Richard Burton (or someone very much like them, white turtle-neck sweater and all).

Many repeated Google searches have kept turning up only Bill Millin (Lord Lovatt) in "The Longest Day", but the scene that I so vividly remember was NOT from "The Longest Day" (wherein there was just the one piper at the landing). But it was most probably a WWII film.

Can anyone help identify that film?

I ask out of sentiment. Many years ago, my ten year-old daughter and I were visiting the Highlands. We went to a village festival the evening of our arrival, and at its close, we were privileged to follow a formation of pipers, marching in the gloaming up out of the glen, playing Scotland The Brave. It was every bit as thrilling as it should have been.

I'd really like to refresh and pass on that memory, but have been unable to find the (similar) movie scene I described.

email: dickns@yahoo.com
Thomas Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-29-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
Andrew Lenz

Default Re: Inspiring Movie Scene Featuring Pipers

I'm glad you found bagpipes inspirational. I still remember my first experience hearing a well-tuned set of pipes played by a competent piper.

These references may be helpful, especially if no one pops up with an exact answer...

Bagpipes go to the Movies:
http://fraser.cc/pipes/movies.html

Bagpipes: Movie scenes: (Though many clips have been deleted.)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...C6F77F7109C9BC

If you do find the movie and it's not mentioned here, please do post what the movie turns out to be!

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:31 AM   #3
Army.Bagpiper
Forum Regular

It sounds as though it may have been "A Bridge Too Far"...but I may be mistaken it with "The Longest Day."

Can't wait to figure it out.

Cheers!
Army.Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:00 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Andrew, have you seen those "expert reacts" videos on Youtube?

Things like:

-FBI disguise expert reacts to disguise scenes in movies

-ER Nurse reacts to ER scenes in TV shows

It would be hilarious if a piper did a video

-Bagpipe expert reacts to bagpipe scenes in movies

It could be half serious/half spoof, because the piper could point out all the errors, at the same time there's a level of absurdity to it.

All the stuff where the "piper" seen onscreen (who often knows nothing about the instrument) stops blowing, or never was blowing, yet the pipes are sounding?

Or the "piper" isn't fingering the chanter, yet a tune is coming out?

Or the "piper" has Highland pipes, but the soundtrack has uilleann pipes?

I've been hired to do that! Play uilleann pipes on a soundtrack when the film is showing a Highland piper.

Many people don't realise that the sounds you hear in film weren't recorded on the set, but were all added later. The footsteps, the slamming doors, the musicians playing, often even the dialog of the principles is added later. An actual movie set is an eerily silent place except for the principles doing their lines.

In any case, I'm sure we're seen this scene, which is utterly inaccurate and preposterous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqkZr9C5C64

For one thing, that regiment didn't wear kilts at that time.

For another, there was no such thing as a "pipe band" at that time, each company would probably have a piper, so there would be a few pipers scattered across the battlefield playing individually, and not playing with the drummers. The pipers might be playing Ceol Mor.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 07-30-2020 at 07:09 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:32 AM   #5
gisahag
Forum Silver Medal

A more difficult challenge might be to find a movie scene containing bagpipes where a piper watching the scene does not manage to find anything wrong with it
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
In any case, I'm sure we're seen this scene, which is utterly inaccurate and preposterous.

For one thing, that regiment didn't wear kilts at that time.

For another, there was no such thing as a "pipe band" at that time, each company would probably have a piper, so there would be a few pipers scattered across the battlefield playing individually, and not playing with the drummers. The pipers might be playing Ceol Mor.
I guess the Americans didn't like that either, for it appeared all their firepower was directed at the pipers and drummers, rather than the British soldiers!
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #7
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yet Another and Very Partial...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper

Greetings to All,

As so accurately noted above... almost everything that
is technically difficult... is put in later... and is... "Saved in
Post." :)

Nice to again see the Soup Plate Sole on the pipes... and
a very nice rendition of "Hielan Laddie"... whom ever it may
have been playing. :)

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 07-30-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

My favorite

The Devil's Brigade - The Canadians Arrive

https://youtu.be/g1awwAgU_t8?t=90

at 1:30

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 07-30-2020 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Edited in time for YouTube URL. You're welcome. —Andrew
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #9
Matt Buckley
Forum Clasp

Just finished reading a new, and very well researched and written, history of the Battle of New Orleans. One diary reflects that one of the pipers was playing Monymusk as a reel. As Richard pointed out, no pipe bands were involved.

The Greatest Fury - The Battle of New Orleans and the Rebirth of America, 2019, by William C. Davis.

Last edited by Matt Buckley; 07-30-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Matt Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #10
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bolt View Post
My favorite

The Devil's Brigade - The Canadians Arrive

https://youtu.be/g1awwAgU_t8?t=90

at 1:30
Notice the drummers stop playing on film but the snares keep playing on the soundtrack! Oops!

It's Richard Dawson playing one of the pipers, who oddly enough isn't playing, but in the ranks carrying his pipes.

One thing it's nice to see there is that most of the Canadian troops aren't doing the high modern British arm-swing, which I don't think existed in WWII. The film of the 51st Highland Division victory parade in Germany in 1945 shows them doing the lower arm-swing similar to the US Army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcA4ffFNiAk

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 08-02-2020 at 06:39 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote