Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #1
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Favorite SSP Chanter?

Anyone care to share the different chanters they have tried and which is their favorite?

Ease of fignering, tone, trills/vibrato etc...?

David NY
Old 09-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Favorite SSP Chanter?

To my mind I've still to come across a chanter as consistent and attractive as Evans. I think there are a whole bunch of makers who are very close to that standard but I've never heard an Evans smallpipe that didn't make me smile.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:26 PM   #3
Lochie
Forum Regular

I have a set of Garvie smallpipes in D that thankfully has a few chanter holes bored on an angle. This minute amount of finger clearance means I can actually play it with my slightly large hands.
I can't say that about other D chanters I've tried.
That must have taken a lot of effort and experimentation, for which I am thankful....love playing in D....
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #4
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

If you are asking about the key of the chanter, then C chanters have the best sound with a well balanced scale. The C chanter is the basis for the modern SSP, because Colin Ross, a NSP maker, took the design for the traditional NSP in F, opened the end and placed holes to sound the mixolydian scale.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

I am sub a noob with my bellows playing it's comical.

That is very interesting about C chanters. Thank you.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #6
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have played Moore, Sloan, Gibson, Walsh and Banton SSP chanters although I didnt play the Sloan chanter enough to really comment. Of those, the Moore and Banton chanters worked best for me and my current set is a Banton SSP with chanters in A, C and D. Of the three pitches, C is hands-down my favourite for solo playing. It has the most pleasing pitch, timbre and ergonomics; however, the A chanter is what stays plugged into the bag because it works best with the other instruments my friends and family play (guitar, fiddle, banjo etc.)

I hope this helps,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #7
David Murry
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks, guys and thanks for those details, Kevin.

With a C chanter; Iím assuming you keep your drones at E and A?
Old 10-04-2020, 06:28 AM   #8
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murry View Post

With a C chanter; I’m assuming you keep your drones at E and A?
With a C chanter, you'd probably want your drones at C and G to have the same harmonic relationship as you'd have with an A chanter and drones at A and E (or AEa). That would probably involve getting different drones as well. (Or at least new top sectios for the drones). Many 3-piece Bass SSP drones can be made to play a different pitch by removing the middle section , sing only the bottom and top sections ( My A bass thus becomes a D bass when I'm playing a D chanter, my E baritone can also tune down to D, giving me the option of two basses) , but the A Tenor ( Mine, at least) won't tune down to G, so I have an extender plug that goes in the "Bell" to bring the pitch down to G. In your case , you'll probably want to bring the tenor up to C, which would involve a new drone top section, a whole new C drone, or a D tenor drone that you could tne down to C.

If you have a set of SSP in A, you might be better off just getting an A chanter you really like.

Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 10-04-2020 at 06:38 AM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #9
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murry View Post

With a C chanter; Iím assuming you keep your drones at E and A?
I usually tune my drones to C-g-c with my C-chanter but other combinations are possible depending on the key of the tunes. My Banton SSP has long tuning slides on the drones, and one tuning bead, which together allow each drone to be tuned to 2 or 3 different notes. I believe Pinchbeck also makes SSP drones with long slides to do this.

Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote