Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Sue
Forum Member

Default Irish "Scotland the Brave"

I've been told that the Irish have a different title, and of course words, to the music of Scotland the Brave . Is this true; and if so, please give me the name of the tune that the Irish might use to the same music. Thanks. Sue
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Seán Donnelly
Forum Regular

Default Re: Irish "Scotland the Brave"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I've been told that the Irish have a different title, and of course words, to the music of Scotland the Brave . Is this true; and if so, please give me the name of the tune that the Irish might use to the same music. Thanks. Sue
'The Irishman's Toast', Feis Ceoil Collection of Irish Airs vol. I (Dublin, 1914)
http://www.pipers.ie/IMCO/
Seán Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Piperalpha
Holy smoking keyboard!

You may want to stay away from traditional Irish tunes. They often have Catholic or Protestant associations. I've seen pint glasses hurled at a piper's head on more than one occasion for playing an Irish tune. You'd be best to stick with Irish sounding modern tunes as not to ruffle feathers. I played with a band that practiced and often performed in the Irish club. The policy was the politics stay in Ireland. Anyone wanting to do anything traditional had to get approval from the executive board prior to playing it in the club. It saved a lot of headaches.

I don't discourage you from learning them for your own interest but i'd be weary about playing them in public.
Piperalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Jimmy the Piper
Forum Silver Medal

Wow. I've never had any problem playing traditional Irish tunes in Twelve years of playing in an Irish pipe band. And an Irish folk band. I think this is the worst advice I've ever read on this forum. She's asking about STB, one of the most requested and well known tunes. If it's got a political lean in Ireland, the general public has no idea. Why would you ever dissuade anyone from any kind of music? BTW, modern 'rebel tunes', if that's what you're alluding to, will cause much more of a rise then tunes like Kelly or Wearing of the Green.

Last edited by Jimmy the Piper; 09-13-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Jimmy the Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seán Donnelly View Post
'The Irishman's Toast', Feis Ceoil Collection of Irish Airs vol. I (Dublin, 1914)
http://www.pipers.ie/IMCO/
That's a really cool website! Thanks. I'm looking forward to looking through some of the older collections, especially the pastoral pipe collection, and some of the collections billed as having Scottish airs.

The fact that they're all transcribed into Scorch is super cool. Just click the play button and listen, or print them out in modern notation.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piperalpha View Post
You may want to stay away from traditional Irish tunes. They often have Catholic or Protestant associations. I've seen pint glasses hurled at a piper's head on more than one occasion for playing an Irish tune. You'd be best to stick with Irish sounding modern tunes as not to ruffle feathers. I played with a band that practiced and often performed in the Irish club. The policy was the politics stay in Ireland. Anyone wanting to do anything traditional had to get approval from the executive board prior to playing it in the club. It saved a lot of headaches.

I don't discourage you from learning them for your own interest but i'd be weary about playing them in public.
..........I am not so sure about this. There are some tunes I just don't play but that's my choice ans well as the choice of some pipers I know. I myself have never had a problem that I recall in any tune I played in any location, and I play a lot. I play all Irish tunes and no one cares.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
bog-standard
Forum Clasp

I just played "Foggy Dew" at a protestant ex-pat club function. Did it on a dare. Worked it into a larger set of non - sectarian tunes. Nobody even blinked at it. Mind you, I'm related to half the people in the room......

I do think there is some caution necessary when playing some material for some audiences. And that isn't just an issue with Irish tunes.

One might give some thought beforehand, as to whom might like to hear the "Massacre of Glencoe" just for an example.

bog-standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bog-standard View Post
I just played "Foggy Dew" at a protestant ex-pat club function. Did it on a dare. Worked it into a larger set of non - sectarian tunes. Nobody even blinked at it. Mind you, I'm related to half the people in the room......

I do think there is some caution necessary when playing some material for some audiences. And that isn't just an issue with Irish tunes.

One might give some thought beforehand, as to whom might like to hear the "Massacre of Glencoe" just for an example.
... There is a youtube video of the Band of the Irish Guards heading out of Windsor Barracks for the Changing of the Guard. As they march they are playing The Foggy Dew, then go into a Loyalist tune. The Micks have always been like this and nobody cares. It's just Irish music that is inclusive, just like the regiment.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
Sue
Forum Member

This all makes for an interesting read, but back to my original question. Do the Irish have another name for the same tune we call Scotland the Brave? I just wanted to know, for we're doing an event for the local Irish society and thought it would be interesting to mention the fact that the tune associated obviously with Scotland also has another name in Ireland This wouldn't be the first such tune that has different titles in different places. Sue
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Richard Strayer
Holy smoking keyboard!

The only time I've been assaulted for playing Irish tunes is when I was wearing Scottish dress.

Yes, the Irish have their own version of "Scotland the Brave" with a completely different name and lyrics. It's called, "Amhrán na bhFiann"