Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Austin Diepenhorst
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via Yahoo to Austin Diepenhorst
Default Bag recommendations anyone?

Hi all,

I've been having trouble with wet reeds, after about nine minutes of playing. I play an L&M leather bag, with a Gibson moisture trap system, and my reeds are still getting wet.
I've discussed this matter with a couple of forum members, and they have both recommended Ganaway, Sheepskin, or Ross. For the Ross, I don't like all the bulk under my arm, so I'm ruling that one out.
Which bag would you suggest? Any other recommendations are welcome, of course, and also, bag size differences between medium would be appreciated. I've looked at Andrew Lenz's bag size page, but am just wondering.

Also, I've heard Moose bags are good.
Let me know the pros and cons about these bags, and also, I'd like to know there shapes as well.

Thanks!

Regards,

Austin
Austin Diepenhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Bruce Wright
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bag recommendations anyone?

Wet after only 9 minutes of playing?! Something seems wrong here - either you're not emptying out the water trap, or there's some kind of a leak in it, or something. Or perhaps you're leaving your chanter in your bagpipe when you put it away rather than taking it out and using a reed cap (especially one like the Piper's Pal reed caps, which are very good about controlling moisture in a stored chanter reed). I'd strongly suggest looking into how that much moisture is getting into your system. (And I'd also note that reeds do play better with a small amount of moisture - the point is that you don't want them soaking wet either).

Still, an L&M hide bag is far from the best as far as moisture control goes - you'd be far better off with either a sheepskin, a Gannaway or a Ross. The sheepskin is the gold standard for moisture control, if you play enough to keep enough moisture in the bag (!) and if you don't mind buying a new bag every 1-3 years. Plus it makes cutoffs extremely easy. Personally I really like the sheepskin, but the cost does put off a lot of pipers.

--Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Wright; 11-05-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Bruce Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
seanathon
Forum Silver Medal

I had a similar issue with the bannatyne hide/synth bag. Went to the Ross suede with a moisture sleeve.....drone reeds are perfectly dry. So satisfied with this bag. Might want to check one out.
seanathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Austin Diepenhorst
Forum Gold Medal

Interesting, I'll look in to it.

Brooce, the thing that I've heard with sheepskin, is that because of continuous seasoning, it forms a waxy coat on the inside of the bag, and if reeds fall in to the bag, they would be covered in that coat, and that basicly blows your practice session. And I may have overexaggerated a little when I said it only took about nine minutes when playing for the reeds to get wet. It's mor like 15, but that is still a huge moisture problem. Do you think a Ganaway would be suitable?

Austin
Old 11-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Shawn McDaniel
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Shawn McDaniel

I recently switched to an extended small bannatyne with ross tubes and canister and love the setup. I am getting excellent results and the bag feels great under the arm. I like the red ross suede bag with the exception of the drones wanting to lay bag too far on my shoulder. Best thing to do is try out other piper's bagpipes in your band and see which one feels best before spending money on a new bag.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Diepenhorst View Post
I play an L&M leather bag, with a Gibson moisture trap system,
I would assume your playing the Scotian bag then, is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Diepenhorst View Post
For the Ross, I don't like all the bulk under my arm, so I'm ruling that one out.
What bulk are you talking about? I have been playing the Ross for 6 years now and will never go back......no bulk at all!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Not a scotian, the Gibson tube trap has a two piece stock, as opposed to their bottle/shamwow thing which would require a zipper.

I just think you need to season again. I, and others, have had great success with Gannaway's seasoning in L&M bags along with Gannaway bags. The all synthetic Ross-like bags are great at dissipating moisture even without MCS, but as you point out can be bulky in the sense that they can be rather balloon like. The monarch bag was good at not being a balloon. From the looks of it the Moose may be not bulky as well, though I haven't tried one. Of course I haven't tried a Ross recently either. I think the Canmore bags take the cake for being the most bulky.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
hooks
Forum Silver Medal

I play a Moose small bag and it suits me perfectly.10 other players will say the same thing about 10 other brands.
I don't understand the "bulk" issue as I have a full Ross cannister in my bag and the only time You can feel it is when the bag is fully deflated.When the bag is inflated the cannister just seems to float in the bag and is not an issue.
I think it is imperative to have an external water trap such as the Moose valve to collect any dribble before it enters the bag.
Inside the bag I have a set of the new corrugated Moose tubes which fit inside the stocks but don't use the chanter tube .This is connected to the blowpipe stock and acts as a condensation tube and supplies just enough moisture to the chanter reed.
Being a fairly wet blower I remove the drones after each session and unzip the bag to let it dry out. This way I get at least 2 hours playing before there is any sign of condensation on the drone reeds.
Works great for me but everyone has there favourite system which works for them.As ther are so many variables its a matter of experimentation until you find a system that works for you .
Dave
hooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
Austin Diepenhorst
Forum Gold Medal

No Patrick, I've just seasoned with a Neetsfoot oil compound, as my bag is made of some sourt of elk hide leather material. Randy, I've played a couple stands of pipes with a Ross System inside, and I've felt it to be very bulky because of it's Balloon like feeling, not because of the contraptions inside. I'm either looking at Moose or Ganaway, but I've not found dealers for either of those bags here at home; (the US).

Austin
Old 11-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

The Ross you tired I'm guessing it was the old black one..what size was it? Try the new Red ones...extended small..

When I had the L&M hide I used good old Airtight seasoning....no idea what this neetsfoot stuff is!

Last edited by Randy McIntosh; 11-06-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Randy McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote