Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Drone Reeds for Kron Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
I also hear Croziers give a booming powerful sound, even a nice overtone sometimes. If you want a mellowed sound you could also get Crozier fiber glass reeds.
This is a quote from the Crozier website:
"Crozier Glass Drone Reeds are suited to pipers who prefer a smoother, more mellow tone from their drones."

Life is relative, I have all their products except the Omegas and if you want a smoother, more mellow tone get their Cane tongued reeds. Neither the Glass nor Carbon iterations are necessarily smooth nor mellow, at least in the pipes I tried them in. They were, in fact, some of the boldest reeds I've tried. I would say the Glass is warmer with a bit of buzz whereas the Carbon maybe a little cleaner sounding. But "mellow", I don't think so.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Pig View Post
I picked up a set of 1999 Kron Standards a few months ago thanks to a fellow forum member and the trading post and now I'm looking for a new set of drone reeds for them. I've played Kinnard's and found them a little too mellow. I've also played Selbie's but the sound was a little "tinny". Before anyone says Rockets, I've talked to Mark Lee who suggested that I have the bass drone re bored if I wanted to use his reeds as he is only making them for the new Kron design and I'm not quite ready to go that far yet. I've also tried Husk cane reeds but the bass was too quiet and I couldn't get the tenors to match up.
Basically I'm looking for a little more buzz for the buck. The Kinnards tune beautifully, however, they just don't stand out enough in an open air or band environment, especially the bass. So anyone that currently plays or has played these wonderful pipes in the past, please let me know.
at risk,..if u want an un-tinny fog horn blast...try SM-90's...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
Shawn McDaniel
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Shawn McDaniel

I play a set and have had many sets of older Kron standard pipes. They are great pipes and take a wide variety of reeds. I would go with ezeedrone tenors and a cane bass, a full set of Mark Lee custom Rockets, canning tenors and an inverted ezeedrone bass or Rocket Bass and Ezeedrone Tenors.

I have yet to try crozier glass or omega bass, but the Kron Standards are easy to reed and sound amazing with almost any combination of reeds depending on what you are wanting from the pipe. Best of Luck.