Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #11
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Pairing with "Going Home"

I would stay in the same 'groove' or rhythmic feel.

Many of the tunes pipers write as 6/8 are written in 3/4 by everyone else, and really the two are the same as long as the underlying tempo is the same (beating once per bar in 3/4, twice per bar in 6/8).

Anyhow any tune in 3/4 or 6/8 with the same tempo would work.

Going Home, when I play it anyhow, lasts plenty long enough, usually. I play two parts. But any tune in the same groove works: Mist Covered Mountains, HYFRYDOL, anything.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:50 PM   #12
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

"Softly and Tenderly, Jesus Is Calling" is just right for this, as long as you're comfortable with playing a high G#. "Slumber, My Darling" by Stephen Foster also works well, but also requires High G#. All three are 19th Century American tunes, if memory serves.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #13
Les Matheson
Forum Clasp

Skye Boat Song, Going Home, My Home, Morag of Dunvegan.

It's difficult to make a man understand something when his paycheck depends on his not understanding it. Upton Sinclair
Les Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #14
gatormac
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm not sure what the right answer is, since it is the opening of a memorial park as opposed to a funeral, but I've always liked Amazing Grace followed by Going Home, walking away as you are playing the second part of Going Home. To me, Amazing Grace (or whatever slow air) sort of fills the role of mourning, while Going Home is slightly uplifting, and walking away as you play it symbolizes the spirit going to a better place.

I know pipers get tired of Amazing Grace. It has sort of become the Stairway to Heaven of pipe tunes. But the truth of the matter is it's a beautiful tune that sounds great on the pipes, and people like to hear it. Thats' not to say that all of the other recommendations aren't good too. Flowers of the Forest is another good one to consider. Mist Covered Mountains was already mentioned which is another of my favorites, as is Skye Boat Song.

Last edited by gatormac; 03-18-2015 at 08:17 AM.
gatormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #15
oldsoldier
Forum Gold Medal

I've given some consideration to AG, as the park is being dedicated to the son of the people who designed/are building it, when he died in Iraq. There are the names of all service members in my state who passed, on the wall. It would be fitting to play, but, I think, if I do, it would be at the end of the ceremony. And, I may be roping another piper in, and I'm thinking that, for AG, we could do the echo, similar to you do with taps. One plays close, stops, the other plays farther away, and it fades.