Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-18-2019, 12:09 AM   #11
Kangaroo
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Monthly composition thread

Here's my effort. The challenge was really fun, and very interesting to see what others have come up with. I'm looking forward to next month. Thanks Calum!

Direct image link https://i.imgur.com/13FkKnU.png

Audio link (Google Drive)
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-18-2019, 07:19 AM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I jotted this down literally in a minute, playing on a pennywhistle (no chanter to hand) because I have to get dressed and go to work!

A nice theme to work from, for sure. I didn't look at the other submissions, just the original fragment, because I didn't want anything but the fragment to guide me.

When I get home a 2nd part will come, hopefully.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 12-18-2019 at 07:22 AM.
pancelticpiper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #13
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

[IMG][/IMG]

one more try. ( that worked, sort of)
Old 12-19-2019, 06:33 AM   #14
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

It would be cool if you could reduce the image size, on my screen at least I only can see half of it at a time.

OK, I still haven't read any of the other tunes, but I've reworked my ideas into a 2-part thing.

It has a gentle feel to me, and I let the ends of the parts float unresolved (they resolve when you go back to the first bar)

And I gave it a title! Don't know if it deserves a title (yet)

From the theory part (which I didn't think about when I was composing) I notice that the tune is essentially pentatonic, with no 4th, and the 7th only a brief passing-tone. (The 7th ought to be sharp, actually.)

Amazing Grace is in the same pentatonic mode, though in a different key.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 12-19-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #15
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

here's another attempt:[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #16
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've been humming tunes along the lines of what I've posted above for a couple days now, and it has made an "ah, hah!" moment for me:

Each composition creates its own unique world, with a specific "feel" and a set of un-thought-of rules; if it's a good composition it's internally consistent.

It's much the same with a fantasy book or film: yes it's fantasy, but it only works, only feels genuine and organic, if it stays true to the world it has established.

I've been humming a variety of melodies to myself, but they're all within the same "world" the two ideas I've posted above exist in.

So, Waldo, I started sight-singing your tune to myself, and right away, in the 2nd bar, the rhythm of three even quarternotes jumped out as completely alien to the melodic world that my composition creates.

It goes to show how cool this composition thing is! How quickly, and utterly, composers will veer in different directions, though given the same prompt.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 12-20-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #17
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Interesting you say that, Richard - I deliberately chose a theme that sounds "familiar", though I don't *think* I've actually copied it from something that exists.

Interesting as well that yours is the only pentatonic composition so far - I thought it would be quite tempting to stick to the pentatonic structure, but clearly not.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #18
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think it's wonderful that we can start from the same launch and have very different voyages.