Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #31
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Predictions for the Next Decade

Regarding uniforms, our band has always had at least three (four when we had dress whites), with variations: What we refer to as Civilian; Full Dress; and Summer Military.

Full Dress (with variations of either feather bonnet or glen) has not changed in nearly all of the band's nearly 120 year history. Summer military has changed only in the shirts.

Civilian is the one that's changed the most, with changes in caps (e.g., used to be balmorals; now glens), shirts, jackets, hose, etc.

Many bands have gone full civilian for many reasons stated by others. But we have at least continued the full dress, which we do admit the crowd enjoys (though we did not appreciate them when we opened the Portland Games one year in FD and it was 100 degrees F). Yow!
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #32
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

My high school band wore full dress. It was extremely uncomfortable to play in. I don't miss anything about it whatsoever.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #33
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
My high school band wore full dress. It was extremely uncomfortable to play in. I don't miss anything about it whatsoever.
I agree that it's somewhat a pain; and we don't wear it often. It is, however, very nice to have when playing outside in the winter (even though we, as a rule, do not have the brutal winters of our Midwest and NE colleagues).

In addition, it is also somewhat worth the trouble when we see the crowd's reaction. To many, full dress is still the image many have of pipers and drummers.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #34
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post

To many, full dress is still the image many have of pipers and drummers.
......yes...but I think itís an image of Cpl.Piper Ian Fraser ( tunes of glory) in mind.....not Maj.Dusty Miller in the same flick.

Seems many play acting military garb bands often appear unremarkable,IMO,with an array of old /young /short/tall/trim/Ďnot-trimí/unkempt hair /mis-fitted kit fellows. The 3 Dís obviously having escaped the Drummie.
Almost makes me wonder sometimes if the band all arrived together in the same VW Beetle.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #35
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
......yes...but I think itís an image of Cpl.Piper Ian Fraser ( tunes of glory) in mind.....not Maj.Dusty Miller in the same flick.

Seems many play acting military garb bands often appear unremarkable,IMO,with an array of old /young /short/tall/trim/Ďnot-trimí/unkempt hair /mis-fitted kit fellows. The 3 Dís obviously having escaped the Drummie.
Almost makes me wonder sometimes if the band all arrived together in the same VW Beetle.
I couldn't agree more!!
Old 01-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #36
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Back on the topic of predictions (sorry for the tangent), we've seen many changes in "civilian" uniforms, including hose, caps, vests, etc.

Regarding hose, many of us remember the white, the 'popcorn', and eventual move by many to black and a number of colors. I wonder if some more bizarre styles of hose are on the horizon and/or if tartan hose will return.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:06 PM   #37
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
Same. I'd be happy to never have to wear that ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
Back on the topic of predictions (sorry for the tangent), we've seen many changes in "civilian" uniforms, including hose, caps, vests, etc.

Regarding hose, many of us remember the white, the 'popcorn', and eventual move by many to black and a number of colors. I wonder if some more bizarre styles of hose are on the horizon and/or if tartan hose will return.
I'd be down for some hose with patterned tops. For my solos, I wear argyle-top hose and often get people asking about them/where to get them. Could be good for the band that wants an easier way to stand out visually.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:52 AM   #38
OHCalman
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
I'd be down for some hose with patterned tops.
I think a lot of the changes weíll see if the next decade will largely be governed by expense. Sadly, patterned hose is probably prohibitively expensive for the average band, as is no1 dress.

As the tweed jacket & waistcoat starts to become more popular amongst the higher grade bands, maybe weíll see more variants of this, possibly different colour tweeds.

All these changes aside, I hope this decade marks the end of spats, short sleeve shirts, poorly fitted kilts, and no1 doublets without plaids.
OHCalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #39
DNorwood
Forum Regular

I just don't agree with the premise that patterned hose are too expensive and then suggest tweed jackets ($$) become popular.
Considering the cost of the rest of the kit, I just can't comprehend that hose be a big concern.
Just me though. :-)

I think both tweed jackets and patterned hose will become more common - even for those who enjoy Highland Dress and do not play in bands.

I also predict stripe ties and tartan ties with become less common as people move to the sharp look of coordinating with paisley ties.

Browse the catalogues of Highland Dress vendors and suppliers to see the smart colours and choices being offered and that which still honor the more "traditional" look.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:22 AM   #40
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

For sure bands abandoning jackets and going waistcoat-only is part of the cost-cutting that people have mentioned.

Waistcoats being relatively inexpensive is why I think that bands might start switching to brown or Lovat tweeds, and away from Basic Black or its neighbor Navy Blue.

Actually it's already happening: at the Worlds in 2014 every G1 band was wearing black or Navy blue waistcoats except for two in charcoal grey and Inveraray in mid-grey tweed. In 2018 add Glasgow Skye in brown tweed, in 2019 add PSNI in green tweed and SFU and 79th Frasers in blue, and grey, fleck tweed.

This leaves only half the bands in black, which a decade ago was pretty much universal.