Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Piper Pig
Forum Regular

Default Drone Reeds for Kron Standards

I picked up a set of 1999 Kron Standards a few months ago thanks to a fellow forum member and the trading post and now I'm looking for a new set of drone reeds for them. I've played Kinnard's and found them a little too mellow. I've also played Selbie's but the sound was a little "tinny". Before anyone says Rockets, I've talked to Mark Lee who suggested that I have the bass drone re bored if I wanted to use his reeds as he is only making them for the new Kron design and I'm not quite ready to go that far yet. I've also tried Husk cane reeds but the bass was too quiet and I couldn't get the tenors to match up.
Basically I'm looking for a little more buzz for the buck. The Kinnards tune beautifully, however, they just don't stand out enough in an open air or band environment, especially the bass. So anyone that currently plays or has played these wonderful pipes in the past, please let me know.
Piper Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Drone Reeds for Kron Standards

The old Kron bores are quieter than what is now being offered. Mark's suggestion will indeed give the bass a lot more presence that what you've got now.

For really loud reeds to try and get some better volume you might try Achitilbuie reeds, ie. Balance Tone. They are quite robust.

Shawn

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

I hear the Standard Krons are Henderson bored, did he tweak the bores now?
WBpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Kron standards are not Henderson based. That is Kron Heritage. My understanding is the old standard is more of a Glen-oid. When Atherton left Kron beefed up the bass in the standard and nixed the heritage line.

I would give Crozier glass a go, strong reeds with a little buzz. More robust than Kinnaird's. Though, I haven't had the chance to play a Kron ever, so for what it's worth. I've just tried lots of drone reeds.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Pig View Post
I picked up a set of 1999 Kron Standards a few months ago thanks to a fellow forum member and the trading post and now I'm looking for a new set of drone reeds for them. I've played Kinnard's and found them a little too mellow. I've also played Selbie's but the sound was a little "tinny". Before anyone says Rockets, I've talked to Mark Lee who suggested that I have the bass drone re bored if I wanted to use his reeds as he is only making them for the new Kron design and I'm not quite ready to go that far yet. I've also tried Husk cane reeds but the bass was too quiet and I couldn't get the tenors to match up.
Basically I'm looking for a little more buzz for the buck. The Kinnards tune beautifully, however, they just don't stand out enough in an open air or band environment, especially the bass. So anyone that currently plays or has played these wonderful pipes in the past, please let me know.
I had a set of of Krons briefly, that I had picked up here as well. Beautifully made and great tone, but a little on the mellow side for my tastes. Second Patrick's thought re:Croziers, but I would be curious how far they will get you if you are looking for a 'band' sound.

Good luck though, and enjoy!!

Matt
Old 12-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Scot Kortegaard
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've always been curious about Kron drones. I've played the Kron chanter, but never the drones. Would it be fair to say they sound like Sinclairs?

Scot.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Kron standards are not Henderson based. That is Kron Heritage. My understanding is the old standard is more of a Glen-oid. When Atherton left Kron beefed up the bass in the standard and nixed the heritage line.

I would give Crozier glass a go, strong reeds with a little buzz. More robust than Kinnaird's. Though, I haven't had the chance to play a Kron ever, so for what it's worth. I've just tried lots of drone reeds.
Hahaha, I realized I got them mixed up shortly after!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Weasner View Post
Beautifully made and great tone, but a little on the mellow side for my tastes. Second Patrick's thought re:Croziers, but I would be curious how far they will get you if you are looking for a 'band' sound.
Yeah, I'd totally find the sweetest chanter I could and drift away in the wind if I had a set. A friend had one and it was one of the loveliest sounds. Conquer with finesse instead of brawn.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #9
Steven Giles
Forum Regular

Ive got a set of Kron Standards just now (playing them for a friend while shes on sabatical...lol). I play an Omega bass with canning tenors. The Omega bass will give you big thunder. Some folks dont like the technical aspect of the omegas, but they are really quite simple and very adjustable. You might give that a try.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Steven
Old 01-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

I also hear Croziers give a booming powerful sound, even a nice overtone sometimes. If you want a mellowed sound you could also get Crozier fiber glass reeds.