Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #11
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Lament at funerals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochie View Post
I too was taught the same as above, but find that the family often requests Amazing Grace. I guess it's become synonymous with funerals, lamentably.....
I see what you did there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochie View Post

For below zero Nov 11 parades, I'll switch to Going Home. Much easier to play when you can't feel your fingers let alone the holes on the chanter...

Amen, but it drives other musician crazy when we play that g natural where the tune needs an G#
Old 12-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #12
Barry Shears

I played a pipe setting of Farewell to Nova Scotia, at Helen Creighton's funeral. She was the noted folklorist who collected this song as well as numerous others in English, Gaelic, French and Mi' kmaq ( the local inidigenous peoples). It doesn't quite fit on the GHB scale but since I played walking towards the graveside coming through a snow squall not many people noticed.
I had the honour at playing outside the church in North end Halifax for Denny Doherty's funeral and it was a mix of Irish and Scottish melodies until my drone reeds froze. It was cold but worth it to see Michelle Philips from the Mamas and Papas in person. I had a crush on her when I was 13 or 14. LOL.

For CBers Hector is a good one, as is any number of Gaelic songs. In the old days different areas of cape Breton had different favourites MacCrimmons Lament was one, known in coal settings and Cùl Beinn Eadara was another played by John MacPhee , Glen Morrison CB, about 80 years ago.
Any one recommend a good source of the history of The Flowers of the Forest? I think I may have asked donate before but a second request would be quicker than going through my files... my files are very cluttered
Barry
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #13
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

https://flowersforsocrates.com/2017/...t-is-personal/

Includes lyrics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #14
classicbagpipes
Holy smoking keyboard!

I had a request at a funeral once for As time goes by. I worked it out and played it for the daughter. She had made the request as it was her parents favorite song.
classicbagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #15
Lochie
Forum Regular

Oh...that last list is probably the best I've heard in a long while....must go back and look at music...thank you !
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:28 PM   #16
Lochie
Forum Regular

Sorry, my post lost context, was referring to Klondike Waldo's response....classic tunes...
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:20 AM   #17
K Sanger
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Shears View Post
When did The Flowers of the Forest become popular as a funeral lament?
Is The Flowers of the Forest more a military funeral tune the civilian one?
This opens an interesting can of worms Barry. The tune goes back at least as far as the early 17th C, as it occurs in the Skene Mandora MS dated to circa 1615-1625, so feasibly could extend back to the event itself in 1513. It also features, not as a lament but as a reel in the Gillespie MS, (1768) and with added variations in Oswald's Caledonian Pocket Companion.

Snatches of the old words were recovered and reset in the 18th, the ones best known being by Jane Elliot of Minto. The 'forest' in question was the district which included parts of Selkirkshire, Peebleshire and Clydesdale, whose population of males of military age were wiped out almost to a man at Flodden.

Now to open the 'can' by moving onto the question of it being only a military tune. From what I have said above the tune and probably words of some sort were clearly in existence long before the 'British Army' came into being. Prior to the Union of Parliaments in 1707 there was no 'British Army' as even after the Union of the Crowns in 1603, the Scottish Parliament retained direct responsibility for regiments raised in Scotland prior to that. Indeed as far back as 1643 an Act of the Scottish Parliament had included a payment for pipers in their regiments, something which only changed when those Scottish Regiments came under the same regulations as the English Army after 1707.

Which nicely brings the subject back to the tunes use as a lament on 'Highland pipes'. The original tune and words were clearly of Lowland background and were the result of many such tunes being adopted and adapted onto the highland pipes in highland regiments of the British Army, mostly after around 1800 to 1850 and the invention of pipe bands. However given the tunes history and origin it is a bit rich trying to claim it as solely a 'military' especially highland pipe tune when there is actually nothing 'highland' about it, so there is no reason why anyone who wishes to play it should not.

Okay, I will put my grumpy old man persona back in the box.

Keith
K Sanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #18
phinson
Holy smoking keyboard!

At most of the funerals I pipe for, the request is for "Amazing Grace". When I'm asked to play when the coffin is moved from the hearse to the grave side and I play "Mist Covered Mountains", "Lochaber No More", "Leaving Rhu Vaternish", "Oft in the Stilly Night" or something similar. Occasionally I've been able to play a piobaireachd ground so it's "Lament for Mary MacLeod", "Duncan MacRae of Kintail", or "Lament for the Children". Once I was asked to play the 4/4 march "Lord Lovat's Lament" and "Highland Laddie" as the family did NOT want the music "dirged up".

Paul Hinson
phinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #19
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Snip- some edits:

Amazing Grace is the most often requested tune for funerals in my experience, and Danny Boy* the next most often, but about half of the people who book me leave the rest of the list up to me.
* I will play "Danny Boy" if they insist, but I really don't like it on GHB, and neither do some of the peope who hire me to play. I usually give them the option of having me sing it instead ( I'm a lyric tenor), and many times that's the way we go ( and they're never disappointed).

For an Irish funeral, Oft In The Stilly Night, The Minstrel Boy ( played slowly), She Moved Through The Fair, and The Fields of Athenrye are usual tunes.

Merry Christmas, Barry and all.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #20
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Shears View Post
I played a pipe setting of Farewell to Nova Scotia, at Helen Creighton's funeral. She was the noted folklorist who collected this song as well as numerous others in English, Gaelic, French and Mi' kmaq ( the local inidigenous peoples). It doesn't quite fit on the GHB scale but since I played walking towards the graveside coming through a snow squall not many people noticed.
SNIP
Barry
…other than an impossible low F#, it seems to work OK, though not perfect… What Key do you play it in?