Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Teacher's Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Teacher's Lounge Pedagogy - the art or profession of teaching

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #1
Barry Shears

Default Skype lesson fees

Hi Everyone,
Is there there a going rate for Skype instruction? Cost per half hour or an hour? I have seen as high as 50 dollars (CDN) per one hour +, but I was wondering if there is a standard rate.
Thanks in advance
Barry
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Skype lesson fees

$50 Canadian for an hour seems rather low, but I would guess it's market dependent. In the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I am not aware of any music instructor (not specifically bagpipes mind you) charging less than $30 USD per half hour or $50 USD per hour for in-person lessons, and many (including my lessons) are more than that.

That said, as a full-time music teacher myself, even if the online market has a "standard" fee, I'm not going to charge less for a Skype lesson than an in-person lesson, or I would have to prioritize my in-person lessons over my Skype/online lessons, which ultimately I feel is a disservice to my online students.
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Skype lesson fees

Skype lessons are a slightly different market, because obviously it's global, so the people who do it a lot tend to be in quieter areas, and as Matt says, those of us living in more expensive areas can't really operate differential rates.

At the top of the tree, Bruce Gandy charges $60 per hour and Callum Beaumont 35, which is almost as much at the current exchange rate.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote