Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-26-2019, 06:22 AM   #11
Steve Bliven
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: SSPs with keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
the Uilleann pipes are rarely heard in Scottish traditional music, despite being able to play all the notes.
Except in movies like Braveheart.....

Best wishes.

Steve
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-26-2019, 07:13 AM   #12
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Crofter, what sort of music do you want to play? Any type of bagpipe has a symbiotic relationship with the traditional music for which it is made, which is why the Uilleann pipes are rarely heard in Scottish traditional music, despite being able to play all the notes.
Having started learning to play the uilleann pipes, I recently ported over all my scottish tunes that could take advantage of the extended range. Yeah...it works but then again, it doesnít. Probably just psychological
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #13
Tim | Birchen
Forum Regular

This topic always reminds me of a quote I once heard, and loved, but have yet to remember the source of:
"With freedom comes limitations, and with limitations comes freedom."
I think the quote was delivered in the context of doing creative work, but I think it can also apply to the genuine beauty of the 9-note limit of the Scottish chanter.

Having said that, however, I fully confess to frequently and happily making use of custom clarinet-style high-B keys on most of my pipe chanters. Ditto for the c-natural lower-thumb hole. But these are generally employed for repertoire outside of the Scottish piping canon (this, for example).

~ Tc
Tim | Birchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #14
McCracken140
Forum Member

Does anyone have experience with those little tuning inserts that go into the chanter holes? Basically a plastic tube that you insert into the hole to switch from F# to Fn or C# to Cn. I think you could also have any of the other notes raised a semitone and use the inserts to lower it down to the itís original tone, eg. The D hole open would play D# and with the insert would play Dn.

The reason I ask is that other than a high B or a low F# I have little utility for accidentals, but they ability to play in different key signatures and switch between tunes would be great. As well I should think these inserts would be significantly cheaper than keys.
McCracken140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #15
Adam Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCracken140 View Post
Does anyone have experience with those little tuning inserts that go into the chanter holes? Basically a plastic tube that you insert into the hole to switch from F# to Fn or C# to Cn. I think you could also have any of the other notes raised a semitone and use the inserts to lower it down to the itís original tone, eg. The D hole open would play D# and with the insert would play Dn.
Well, I learn something new every day, I'd no idea such a thing existed. At the Glasgow Smallpipers group on Tues evenings, we have used good old electrical tape to turn our sharps into natural. Like the inserts, I'd suppose, it only works if there are only the natural in the tune. If a tune used both C# and C natural, for example, it's not much cop.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #16
McCracken140
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Sanderson View Post
Well, I learn something new every day, I'd no idea such a thing existed. At the Glasgow Smallpipers group on Tues evenings, we have used good old electrical tape to turn our sharps into natural. Like the inserts, I'd suppose, it only works if there are only the natural in the tune. If a tune used both C# and C natural, for example, it's not much cop.

Itís the same idea, but the point of the inserts is that you can add or remove them and be pretty well bang on with the new note. It would be harder to add and remove your tape between tunes while being as exact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #17
Tim | Birchen
Forum Regular

I believe these pastilles are somewhat common with bagad pipers in Brittany: https://www.sonerien.com/chanters-mc...lum-bagad.html

I don't know of any being made for other types of bagpipes yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they exist.
Tim | Birchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #18
Armorican
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim | Birchen View Post
I believe these pastilles are somewhat common with bagad pipers in Brittany: https://www.sonerien.com/chanters-mc...lum-bagad.html

I don't know of any being made for other types of bagpipes yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they exist.
The first "pastilles" used on GHB chanters in Brittany were the wee plug things from the barrels of Bic pens with a hole drilled in them - worked fine for F natural. You'll notice that the McCallum bagad chanter comes with 3 pastilles for the C natural. They each have a different size of hole so you can chose the most accurate one depending on circumstances (reed, pitch, temperature, etc.).

I've never seen a pastille for a practice chanter - holes are taped as needs be. I'd imagine tape would also be the best option for SSP chanters.

Envoyť de mon Redmi Note 5A Prime en utilisant Tapatalk
Armorican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #19
McCracken140
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim | Birchen View Post

Thatís what Iím talking about. Apparently Bieger and Kato Pipes of Germany has them for their Ďmedievalí smallpipe.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #20
Armorican
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCracken140 View Post
Itís the same idea, but the point of the inserts is that you can add or remove them and be pretty well bang on with the new note. It would be harder to add and remove your tape between tunes while being as exact.

There's a trick that Breton bombarde players use when they have to switch between, for example, C sharp & C natural during a performance.

They'll tape the note in question and adjust it until it's in tune. Then, they put on another bit of tape below but touching the first, but with a wee "V" cut out of it so it doesn't cover the hole. The first bit of tape can then be removed and thereafter replaced in the correct position.

Here's a quick photo I took to illustrate the process.

Envoyť de mon Redmi Note 5A Prime en utilisant Tapatalk
Armorican is offline   Reply With Quote