Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
Crofter
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Northumbrian pipe makers?

There seem to be quite a few makers of GHBs, Scottish smallpipes, and even Uilleann pipes, but makers of Northumbrian pipes seem rather more rare.

I'm in the U.S. and I have only found one maker's website that says that he makes Northumbrian pipes (although I find no actual mention of them on his website). I suppose that in this day and age buying them from the U.K. is possible, but seems likely more complicated, and what would one do if there were problems with the pipes?

My question for folks that have Northumbrian pipes is where did you get your pipes and how do you like them? If you were to buy another set, would you use the same source?

Please feel free to PM me if you would rather not publicly post your thoughts.
Crofter is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #2
Ian Lawther

Default Re: Northumbrian pipe makers?

To my knowledge there are no regular makers of Northumbrian pipes in the the US. John Liestman used to make them but has not for some years. I believe Seth Hamon has been dabbling but I don't know how far he has got. Mike Sharp in California does some fixing and restoration but not making complete sets.
I think all those I know in the US playing have sets from UK makers (one of whom is now based in France). I know people who have had to send pipes back to the UK regarding problems, but there is the option of using someone like Mike. I have done both of these at different times.
My own pipes are by Ray Sloan and I would go to him again. I also see good sets from Richard Evans. Colin Ross still makes some pipes, and there are newer makers like Kim Bull and Nigel Barlow though I haven't seen their work in person.

Ian
Ian Lawther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:59 AM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

The NPS has a list of makers here:

https://www.northumbrianpipers.org.u...age=pipemakers
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
Crofter
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lawther View Post
To my knowledge there are no regular makers of Northumbrian pipes in the the US. John Liestman used to make them but has not for some years. I believe Seth Hamon has been dabbling but I don't know how far he has got. Mike Sharp in California does some fixing and restoration but not making complete sets.
I think all those I know in the US playing have sets from UK makers (one of whom is now based in France). I know people who have had to send pipes back to the UK regarding problems, but there is the option of using someone like Mike. I have done both of these at different times.
My own pipes are by Ray Sloan and I would go to him again. I also see good sets from Richard Evans. Colin Ross still makes some pipes, and there are newer makers like Kim Bull and Nigel Barlow though I haven't seen their work in person.

Ian
Ian,

Thank you! I did find Seth Hamon's website. The title of his website mentions Northumbrian pipes but I find nothing on his site that actually mentions them. I have sent him an email asking about it. Another member of the forum recommended Andy May or Richard Evans. I have sent Mr. May an email. The Evans' website says that they are not now taking orders, but I have been told that may not be entirely correct, so I plan to send them an email also.

Not to change the subject, but then there is the question of learning to play the pipes. Some years ago I downloaded John Liestman's book on the Northumbrian pipes and I finally just got around to printing it all out. His book says that it is written for the student who has no teacher. That's good for me because I know of no Northumbrian pipe teachers anywhere around.

Any, thanks for the replies!
Crofter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
Ian Lawther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crofter View Post
Ian,

That's good for me because I know of no Northumbrian pipe teachers anywhere around.

Any, thanks for the replies!

I don't know how often they get together but there were some Northumbrian pipers meeting in the DC area. I know one was based there and the other in Annapolis. They would link up with others from PA.
There is also a Northumbrian piping instructor each year at the Shephardstown (WV) piping weekend in January.

Ian
Old 04-28-2019, 11:56 PM   #6
daj
Forum Regular

A lot of advances being done with 3D printing NSP, and lot of other types of bagpipes.
daj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
Steve Bliven
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lawther View Post
I don't know how often they get together but there were some Northumbrian pipers meeting in the DC area. I know one was based there and the other in Annapolis. They would link up with others from PA.
There is also a Northumbrian piping instructor each year at the Shephardstown (WV) piping weekend in January.

Ian
There is also the Pipers Gathering http://www.pipersgathering.org in CT in August (Andy May scheduled to be there) and another gathering in the Albany, NY area which regularly includes a half dozen or so NSP players. This year's iteration concluded this morning. If interested in the latter for next year, contact me off-list.

Best wishes.

Steve
Old 05-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
Ian Lawther

Just an update on the Pipers' Gathering....the Northumbrian instructor will be me, and not Andy May, who will be teaching next year.