Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-20-2018, 12:53 AM   #1
Cheehoo
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default How much quieter

The GHB are really loud, I was just wondering how much quiter the smaller pipes are. What ones would be good to get like McCallums or Gibson fireside. I live in a condo I would like to get a set I could play at home or a nearby park or beach.
Cheehoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: How much quiter

as a rough guide: Lowland/Border pipes are quieter than Highland pipes, but still loud enough to be heard with other instruments, or heard from a reasonable distance outdoors. Smallpipes are considerably quieter- can be drowned out by other instruments or even spirited conversation.
Different makes with different reeds will be relatively louder or softer, but not approach Highland pipes' volume or even Border pipes' volume.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
Steve Bliven
Forum Gold Medal

Should also add that, with a cylindrical bore rather than the conical bore of highland and border pipes, small pipes have a lower pitch and "rounder" sound that doesn't carry through walls as much.

Best wishes.

Steve
Old 10-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bliven View Post
Should also add that, with a cylindrical bore rather than the conical bore of highland and border pipes, small pipes have a lower pitch and "rounder" sound that doesn't carry through walls as much.

Best wishes.

Steve

Quite Right! The cylindrical bore quashes half the harmonics so the sound is "rounder" but without the "edge" of a conical bore.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Steve Bliven
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Quite Right! The cylindrical bore quashes half the harmonics so the sound is "rounder" but without the "edge" of a conical bore.
I wonder where the other half of the harmonics go. Is there like a storehouse of unused harmonics somewhere?

Best wishes,

Steve
Old 10-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
I wonder where the other half of the harmonics go. Is there like a storehouse of unused harmonics somewhere?

Best wishes,

Steve
...yes...right. next to the one where they store the caffeine taken out of decaf coffee.....lol...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

Best wishes,

Steve

They get shipped off to Tuva, where the singers drink them in with hyper-caffeinated coffee. Nothing wasted in the processing
Old 10-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: How much quieter

From checking my own reed making experiments with a decibel meter, my highland pipes (with a fairly light reed) are hitting 99-106db*. My border pipes fall somewhere between 87-91db*. My smallpipes in A register somewhere between 77-81db.
*conical bore chanters will tend to have quieter top hand notes.
All these measurements have been taken with a Pyle brand decibel meter, indoors at a distance of 6 feet.
I'm going to build a set of smallpipes in D soon. My last set (long since consigned to flames of woe) was louder than smallpipes in A, but not as loud as a border pipe. Maybe 84db? We'll find out in a couple of weeks.