Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-04-2018, 01:50 AM   #1
Repip
Forum Member

Default Drone reeds for vintage Lawrie pipes

Hi,

Recommendations for synthetic drone reeds for 1920 Lawrie pipes. Ones that will tune just above the hemp line.

Thanks
Repip is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
RJB
Forum Member

Default Re: Drone reeds for vintage Lawrie pipes

1930's Lawries.

I've got a Kinnaird base and Ezdrone tenors They strike in easily, and sound great. All tops are 3/16" above the hemp.
RJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Check out the MG Reeds site for videos of Rory Grossart playing his reeds in vintage Lawrie pipes. Super.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm using Kinnaird in my 1905 Lawries. They are amazing reeds. If you really like a nice buzz then get some Balance Tone High Resonance reeds.

Ezeedrone tenors and a cane bass is also a classic combination for these pipes.

My set are what I like to call "Garbage Eaters" meaning, just about any reed works well in them, but we all have our preferences for the type of sound we're looking for.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Shawn is that regular Kinnaird or evolutions--I'm getting some regular Kinnairds for my Starcks I am going to try--
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

I like both. I'm actually using regular Kinnaird tenors and the Evo bass.

You can call Kinnaird and tell them if you want to mix and match and they'll do it for you no problem.

The regulars are very smooth with great sound. The Evo's are somehow more air efficient while being significantly bolder in sound. I prefer the smoother tenors and the bigger bass of my current set up. I like a big pipe sound.

If you like smooth get the originals, if you like bigger and bolder get the Evo's.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #7
Graineag
Forum Member

I have a set of 1920s Lawrie drones that I acquired almost a year ago. I went a bit crazy acquiring different drone reeds to try. My experience was that many types of reeds went well in the tenors, but the bass drone could be a bit cantankerous to reed. Up until about a month ago, I was playing all Kinnaird Evolution reeds. I blow a chanter reed at about 30" water pressure, and the easy strength Evolution reeds worked great. Very air efficient, nice harmonics. I recently switched back to using Ezeedrone tenors for two reasons:

1.) I actually like a lot of buzz, but with the amount of volume the drones produce, they don't really need it. The smoother sound of the Ezeedrones has been kinda refreshing, but sound-wise it's just a matter of taste more than anything else. Selbie tenors were also nice--from my perspective, similar in tone to the Ezees with just a bit more volume and grit, but a tad less air efficient. (YMMV, of course.)

2.) I play a Canmore hybrid bag, and while it does a good job of handling moisture, using all Kinnaird Evolution reeds required more moisture control. I'm a pretty wet blower and was using a bottle trap with a Trap-dri, but the reeds were still getting pretty damp. I got the silica gel extension for the Trap-dri, and that did the job great, but it was a bit more hassle. (NB: I hear these have just been discontinued, so get one while you can if you want one.) Switching to the Ezeedrones meant I could dispense with the silica gel and play for a full hour with just the Trap-dri, and the tenors stay totally dry with barely any moisture at all forming on the Kinnaird bass. I've just been using the regular Ezee tenors; if I need a tad more moisture control as winter rolls around, I'll probably just switch to the extra absorption reeds.

Tuning just above the hemp line on the tenors hasn't been a problem at all. In fact, I play right around 480 (give or take a cent or two) and have the tuning screws out almost as far as they'll go. The other reed that I really liked in the bass was the X-Treme. Overall, I liked the tone of the Kinnaird Evo bass just a tad better, but the X-Treme was also very nice and easy to tune, and it tuned a bit lower on the pin.

Good luck! Let us know what works well for you!
Graineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Fwiw....I was told a few years ago by a big name pipes maker about an old set of lawriers with a cantankerous bass that didn't always cooperate.
He finally determined its bass stock was slightly underbored ...when he trued it up a few hairs to usual spec (20-21mm) ,,bazinga!
Old 08-04-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

I, like Shawn, play vintage Lawries, though mine are of later manufacture. Mine are also "garbage eaters", and I haven't even sleeved my bass. I'll second that the Balance Tone HR are really strong reeds in Lawrie drones, perhaps too much so: The buzz can make it hard to really hear if your drones are dialed in all the way. Ezee works well, but they've let me down on a few occasions by having the calibration drift with changes in environment.

Gibson's "Stealth" drone reeds are reliable as heck, and stable, while maintaining a nice, warm, mellow tone. Armstrong Xtreme are just plain excellent: the bass is a gift from on high, the tenors are smooth and calm but are secretly very "live" harmonically. If you want something more commonly available, Canning worked well, though my tenor reeds were a wee bit mismatched (when calibrated, the two tongues were of noticeably different length, and therefore drifted relative to each other). Kinnaird were OK, but a bit too "cold", too "crispy" for me.
MichiganGaidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGaidar View Post

....the two tongues were of noticeably different length,

I get that sometimes trying different reeds. The pipes sound perfect and visually very evenly tuned.

Always makes me wonder if itís the Ďotherí reed that needs some adjusting.