Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #11
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: How best to remove the chanter?

Everything said here is correct. It's just a matter of being careful and going very slow. I know from experience that a disaster is in the making if you are fast and careless.
I was doing a funeral one cold day and waiting outside the church to play as they exit. I was foolish enough to want to check the reed just before they came out. The chanter slipped out of my hand and fell onto the sidewalk with the reed flying out. I jammed it back into the chanter to the depth I thought was right and stuck the chanter back into it's stock.
I had just enough time to start playing as the doors opened and they brought the deceased out. I was just a bit out of tune but not as bad as I thought I would be. I was still hard on myself for being an idiot.
I drove like a madman to get to the cemetery and have a tune up before they arrived. The weather had gotten colder and the sound was a bit thin but not bad for the circumstances.
After that day I became smarter and swore that would never happen again.
Slow and careful for sure.
Dave Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #12
Jarniscipus
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I can tell you how not to remove it, because I was distracted on the phone and removed mine yesterday and it was one of those things where I just don't understand how it happened, but I fumbled the chanter, tried to catch it and ended up batting it, dove after it and ended up watching it take a 4 foot nose dive onto the conrete reed first. It was one of those things you see in slow motion and know there is no hope. So I guess I do have some good advice before you even consider the technique of removing the chanter, don't be distracted and don't rush it like I tried to do. But I am happy with my synthetic pipes, there was not a scratch or dent on the chanter, good as new. I ask myself if it is worth taking the reed out, many will argue it lasts longer if you take the chanter out and dry the reed, etc., but I would argue that if I took my chanter out everyday, I would break the reed every week! Someone should make a chanter with a wire reed cage around it that would help me....
Jarniscipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:39 AM   #13
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarniscipus View Post
...Someone should make a chanter with a wire reed cage around it that would help me....
Now that you mention it, I seem to remember there was someone, possibly a BDer here, with a DIY solution which consisted of one or maybe two small wire arches tied into the chanter hemp. Seemed it worked a charm but not sure if there has been widespread adoption.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #14
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
Now that you mention it, I seem to remember there was someone, possibly a BDer here, with a DIY solution which consisted of one or maybe two small wire arches tied into the chanter hemp. Seemed it worked a charm but not sure if there has been widespread adoption.
I've seen someone with a slim wire over his chanter reed, but that was to aid in inserting and removing the chanter due to the fact that he is blind. I think he's since taken the wire off.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #15
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ta-da....the reed bumper, revisited:
http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...d.php?t=155556
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote