Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-03-2019, 04:50 AM   #11
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Mark Lee Rocket Drone Reeds

I think I'll buy some shim stock and try to raise the tongue a touch. I have a set that are nearly perfect strength, but would like an inch or two more threshold.

I'll report back.

My experience is that original, or other, Kinnairds are not the same as Rockets. Not wildly different, but not the same.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:45 AM   #12
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCain View Post
My experience is that original, or other, Kinnairds are not the same as Rockets. Not wildly different, but not the same.
For starters they are bold. Carbon fiber Rockets tended to be mellower than their glass tongue counterparts. And while the glass tongue versions could be bold, I don’t think I’ve ever heard a set approach Kinnaird Evolution volume.

Upon querying Mark about a set for some D MacPherson pipes I had, I vaguely recall him saying he preferred a mellow, blended tone and so that’s how he would make the reeds. I can’t say if that was specific to the reeds he made for D Mac pipes or was a general statement. But, again, we see a difference between what Kinnaird was trying to achieve (a bolder tone, especially Evo) and what Mark was making.

So while they share similarities (heat set bend in the tongues), there are definitely differences (most Rockets had glass fibre tongues) and the end goal tonally seems to be different.

Ultimately, I have found Kinnaird to be more adjustable strength wise and they have support available from the manufacturer, in addition to sounding good in their own right with excellent reliability, which is why I recommended them. I think they’re as close as you can get to Rockets, but the reality is that in some pipes and for some people, they’re better than Rockets.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:06 AM   #13
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Ultimately, I have found Kinnaird to be more adjustable strength wise and they have support available from the manufacturer, in addition to sounding good in their own right with excellent reliability, which is why I recommended them. I think they’re as close as you can get to Rockets, but the reality is that in some pipes and for some people, they’re better than Rockets.
I think so, too. I’m a big fan of Kinnaird drone reeds, in case I came across as a critic. (But Kinnairds aren’t that adjustable for strength either, so Rob offers set/tongue choices)

But they’re not the same as Rockets.

You’re right about Mark Lee’s tonal preference. He told me his favorite sound is the classic Glen tone and he plays the Kron set based on Glens.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:23 AM   #14
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Since I brought up Kinnairds, and you rightly state they are not Rockets, I figured I’d have a go at explaining how I see them as being different. I did not read your post as critical, I just felt it best to elaborate where possible.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote