Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #61
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Drone instability, poor blowing or moisture?

I think you could be right.

Since they’ve been moved back, they strike in much easier, and howl way less.

I have a set of Edge reeds in my McCallum drones, I absolutely love them, spectacular bright, ringing tenor drones. The bass was a bit temperamental for my liking so I put an MG bass in. No matter, I still like them so much that I have considered getting another set for my Dunbar’s!
Old 04-05-2020, 06:23 AM   #62
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

That type of reed - very large stiff tongue - is generally less able to support a wide range of blowing pressuress than a softer, smaller tongue. I don't for a second pretend to understand the exact physics behind it but like all these things, it's a trade-off, as you should in theory get a more stable response to blowing pressure wobbles.
CalumII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #63
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
That type of reed - very large stiff tongue - is generally less able to support a wide range of blowing pressuress than a softer, smaller tongue. I don't for a second pretend to understand the exact physics behind it but like all these things, it's a trade-off, as you should in theory get a more stable response to blowing pressure wobbles.
That’s really good to know. I have never really had stability issues with my old ezeedrone reeds. With that being said since the Kinnairds are almost 2 years old I have some replacement O-Ring Bridles. Also on the way are some selbie reeds that I want to try, so I look forward to that.

Last edited by WBpiper; 04-05-2020 at 09:40 AM.
WBpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #64
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

With regards to Ezeedrone reeds, in my experience, once correctly setup, the tenors are very steady indeed compared with the Kinnairds. But, they also need changing once every year or so.

It is easy to understand why top pipers tend to use Ezeedrone tenor reeds.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #65
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
That’s really good to know. I have never really had stability issues with my old ezeedrone reeds. With that being said since the Kinnairds are almost 2 years old I have some replacement O-Ring Bridles. Also on the way are some selbie reeds that I want to try, so I look forward to that.
You might check in with the folks at Kinnaird as to what size replacement Oring to use. They need be surprisingly small and very tight
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #66
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
With regards to Ezeedrone reeds, in my experience, once correctly setup, the tenors are very steady indeed compared with the Kinnairds. But, they also need changing once every year or so.

It is easy to understand why top pipers tend to use Ezeedrone tenor reeds.
Oh yeah, I had to bin them after a few years, they were just worn out I think.

I really do miss them though! If I do get new ezee's I'll get an inverted bass as the regular was a bit fussy, it would howl easily and shut off frequently unless it was wide open and blasting like a foghorn!

I'm looking forward to trying the new selbies though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
You might check in with the folks at Kinnaird as to what size replacement Oring to use. They need be surprisingly small and very tight

Don't worry that's where I got 'em

Last edited by WBpiper; 04-05-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #67
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Drone instability, poor blowing or moisture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
Oh yeah, I had to bin them after a few years, they were just worn out I think.

I really do miss them though! If I do get new ezee's I'll get an inverted bass as the regular was a bit fussy, it would howl easily and shut off frequently unless it was wide open and blasting like a foghorn!

I don’t use an Ezeedrone bass, preferring a carbon-fiber Rocket reed.

Funny thing...... yesterday I was tweaking my Ezee tenor reeds and couldn’t get them to match (tenor to tenor). Today, I swapped them out for a brand new set and they’re back to great sounding and steady.

So, a year seems to be their limit for me and that seems fairly consistent for the last four or five years. Mind-you having not played my pipes for a week or two has resulted in more unsteady blowing. The old ones will be earmarked as backups.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #68
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

With O-ring bridles, you can replace them with self-tied traditional hemp bridles and dial in the exact tension you want. I was amazed how much better an EzeeDrone tenor played after the O-ring snapped and I had to tie on an emergency bridle.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #69
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
With O-ring bridles, you can replace them with self-tied traditional hemp bridles and dial in the exact tension you want. I was amazed how much better an EzeeDrone tenor played after the O-ring snapped and I had to tie on an emergency bridle.

Are you suggesting this on worn-out Ezeedrone reeds? If new bridles would work, rather than the tongues getting fatigued, it’d save the expense on new reeds ever year.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:42 PM   #70
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Well, the last update I guess, I promise I will stop bugging you all!

The new O-Ring bridles arrived and I replaced them, when I compared the new with the old, I could see quite a difference with the naked eye. The old ones looked to be stretched out quite a bit.

My Blowpro also came, so I’ve been playing for a bit, my reeds definitely seem to be happier, and the Blowpro does seem to be helping, just a bit confusing to read but you get used to it. The only issue really is moisture control, but that should come tomorrow.

All in all I think my problems have been addressed (Obviously, considering how this has turned into a blog lol) and I just need to work on them, gotta practice and work on my pressure stability.

... and eventually get a new bag...

Last edited by WBpiper; 04-06-2020 at 09:48 PM.