Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-25-2019, 12:21 AM   #11
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Balance Tone VS. BT High Resonance Drone Reeds

I own regular Balance Tone and have owned the High Resonance.

The HR reeds do have more overtones to them. Though in my pipes that also meant they were brash/too intense. In an older set of Lawries I tried they sounded great to me, so YMMV. In either set of reeds I only used the tenors as the basses in my pipes come across as very coarse and pretty loud. Otherwise great reeds, incredibly air efficient.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:27 AM   #12
phinson
Holy smoking keyboard!

What can I do to get rid of the trailing drone squeal? I've been using standard Balance Tone reeds for 2 days and like them except for the after squeal.

Paul Hinson
phinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #13
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinson View Post
What can I do to get rid of the trailing drone squeal? I've been using standard Balance Tone reeds for 2 days and like them except for the after squeal.

Paul Hinson
..maybe a tich more efficiency setting of the tongues mixed with tenacious technique evaluation.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:35 AM   #14
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinson View Post

Paul Hinson
See the related thread in the Technique and Instrument Forum http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...d.php?t=131165 page 2 onwards.

Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 08-29-2019 at 05:40 AM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #15
WillyWog
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Hi all

I was wondering if "Balance Tone Drone Reeds - High Resonance" come with literature for adjustment and setup.. Watched the video of the fella that invented them and there seems to be quite a few different ways of adjustment..

Anything?

Willy
WillyWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #16
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyWog View Post
Hi all

I was wondering if "Balance Tone Drone Reeds - High Resonance" come with literature for adjustment and setup.. Watched the video of the fella that invented them and there seems to be quite a few different ways of adjustment..

Anything?

Willy
My set came with a detailed instruction booklet.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 10-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #17
DapperDan
Forum Regular

In my experience, the bridle adjustment is the same as other reeds, and more forgiving than Ezees. For pitch though, you actually lengthen or shorten the reed, the body telescopes out from the tenon. Even more simple than it sounds, and those are really the only adjustments you need beside hemping them up. I made little marks with a pencil to indicate where it needed to be to pitch with my band chanter. You can really get your bass to tune low on the pin, which I appreciate because this is an issue with other reeds in my pipes. I'd say if you have a low-pitch or Bb chanter, to use the Bb reeds he makes. Otherwise they have a good range, I had ideal tuning positions with my very sharp band chanter.
There's also a plug in the end that you can use to sort of turn off the reed. It's supposed to also be able to reduce the volume, but I never did get it to make a difference and left it at default setting.
As stated, the booklet explains everything. Very easy reeds to adjust.

I liked them because of the bullet proof strike-ins and pleasant tone, but they feel like they use more air than I'd like, even when calibrated to my strength. Do they need to be "blown in," and come to use less air over time? Or are they more efficient at a higher pressure? Idk. I'm asking because William above gets great efficiency out of them. Different reeds behave differently in different pipes I suppose. The other issue I had was also mentioned above, they're noisy when there's any air in the bag, making cut off a bit tricky. And that was in a sheep bag. I had to crimp the bag practically flat to not have trailing drone noises - it's harder to "blow tone" through the last beat of a set when you're squeezing the bag so flat. Anyway I sold them and use Henderson reeds for band, but I have a set of Bb balance tones I'd like to get going on a solo setup sometime.

Last edited by DapperDan; 10-09-2019 at 04:44 PM.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #18
Triskele

Update: I have been using these "USA" Balance Tone High Resonance drone reeds for a while now, and I am quite happy with them. For me, they have been very reliable for clean strike-ins and seem quite air efficient. Also, they keep going much longer than other drone reeds I have tried under wet conditions. The tone is not as warm and buttery as some drone reeds, but I actually like the slightly more rocking tone. I am a happy camper with them. As always, YMMV.
Triskele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #19
WillyWog

HI all

My new set of Balanced Tone Drone reeds Enhanced Yellow and Black finally arrived.. I installed them this morning.. Took about 1 1/2 hours .. I got quite fussy this time..

Well I am totally amazed at how my MacLeods sound.. Great harmomics everywhere. Just beautiful . I adjusted them so that when I give the bag and extra zap with my inner arm the all shut off.. Check bag for leaks using stoppers, blew them up and waited.. Took 1 minute and 42 seconds before the drones came back on..

I am VERY happy camper..

Thanks for the help
Willy
WillyWog is offline   Reply With Quote