Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-28-2020, 10:22 PM   #1
MichaelR.S.
Forum Regular

Default Chromatic bagpipe chanter

Having been out of the loop a bit I have no idea how well-known this thing is, but I just thougit it was pretty interesting and maybe somebody else who has not seen this or heard of it might find it interesting as well
👇

https://youtu.be/QeLwIXfdQXY
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-29-2020, 01:53 AM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: Chromatic bagpipe chanter

I want one...

I wonder, though... I live in high-desert, and I've gone that it's very difficult to get cross-fingering to work here as it does closer to sea level... I wonder if the forked fingering described would work for me at home as it does in the video...

I'd love it if it would, this would be so much fun!
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
Scot Kortegaard
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggyMcPipes View Post
I want one...

I wonder, though... I live in high-desert, and I've gone that it's very difficult to get cross-fingering to work here as it does closer to sea level... I wonder if the forked fingering described would work for me at home as it does in the video...

I'd love it if it would, this would be so much fun!
Maybe I'm off base here, but ... the GHB scale has two sharps, C and F. Could a person not just tape those two notes down to their natural values, and have a chromatic chanter?

Cheers,
Scot.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes, if you want different notes, tape is always an option, as is drilling new holes. Tape has its inconveniences though, especially if you want to play a G minor tune and follow it with a G major tune.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:24 PM   #5
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Michael !!... Many Thanks!! :)

It is always a good thing... to enlarge... our
musical horizons... and outlooks... :)

It's brand new to me!!... and has an interesting
sound to it... but it is also quite obvious to me...
that I have... more than sufficient trouble with...
my present... and now... "Old School" chanter...
and so... should remain with it... as... The Devil
I Know...Is Better... Than The Devil I Don't... :)

Regards... and... All the Best!!

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 10-29-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Pip01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:48 PM   #6
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kortegaard View Post
Maybe I'm off base here, but ... the GHB scale has two sharps, C and F. Could a person not just tape those two notes down to their natural values, and have a chromatic chanter?

Cheers,

Scot.
Indeed, this is a method I use when I want to play a tune that contains C and/or F naturals exclusively with no C#/F#, but the appeal here is the ability to cleanly play both C# and C natural, as well as F# and F natural, and all the other notes on the scale, at will, throughout a piece of music.

Or in other words, instead of taking the 9 notes and swapping one or two of them out, via tape, for a few different notes --but still only 9 notes-- ------the appeal of the chromatic chanter would be the availability of 15 notes, (every white and black key, as it were, from low G to high A,) to be used at will, throughout a piece of music. Making a shift from minor, to major, back to minor possible, for example. Or making Fred Morrison-esq chromatic runs possible, as another example.
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:27 AM   #7
Scot Kortegaard
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggyMcPipes View Post
Indeed, this is a method I use when I want to play a tune that contains C and/or F naturals exclusively with no C#/F#, but the appeal here is the ability to cleanly play both C# and C natural, as well as F# and F natural, and all the other notes on the scale, at will, throughout a piece of music.

Or in other words, instead of taking the 9 notes and swapping one or two of them out, via tape, for a few different notes --but still only 9 notes-- ------the appeal of the chromatic chanter would be the availability of 15 notes, (every white and black key, as it were, from low G to high A,) to be used at will, throughout a piece of music. Making a shift from minor, to major, back to minor possible, for example. Or making Fred Morrison-esq chromatic runs possible, as another example.
My apologies gentlemen. I had understood the question to be about a simple chromatic scale - not the full scale, all the sharps and flats included. Wow ... I just watched the video included with the OP (I didn't have the opportunity earlier). The man is talented to say the least. I think if I tried to incorporate all those extra notes into what I currently do with the GHB, my head would explode. I'm okay with playing the two naturals (F and C), but not the rest of the linking notes of the scale.
I sit here listening to some fantastic playing, by one of the preeminent players of our time. What he can do with just the 9 traditional notes is both beautiful, and amazing. Traditionalists would say, "that's all we need, and all there should be". I personally don't agree. I think we should always push the boundaries, and explore where we can go musically. The GHB is steeped in tradition, probably more so than a lot of instruments. While tradition is great, in that it gives us a solid compass to follow, it also limits us. For my $.02, I believe we should explore all those ideas and genres that inspire us. The compass will always be there, and we can depend on it, while we explore all that this and any art has to offer. We'll never know what lies beyond that door, until we kick it open.

Cheers,
Scot.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kortegaard View Post

Cheers,
Scot.
Taping down the C# and F# would not result in a chromatic chanter, but rather a chanter in A minor. A chromatic chanter would be able to play all the semitones G,G#,A,Bb,B, C,C#, D, Eb,E, F, F#, G, G# A.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:56 PM   #9
Dave
Forum Regular

If I'm not mistaken, the whole thing about Brien Boru pipes is that it's essentially a chromatic GHB.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #10
Armorican
Forum Silver Medal

Tudual Hervieux in Brittany has just unveiled his new fully chromatic bombarde. A similar amount of metalwork would be required for a pipe chanter.

https://www.tudual-hervieux.com/nouv...e-chromatique/
Armorican is offline   Reply With Quote