Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #31
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: The Lawrie That Time Forgot

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Good to put a face to the names. I’d been told these chaps were button sales reps.
I think Evan MacRae is on the right. But I'm not certain -- it was years ago I saw him and met him (I'm going partially by some other photos of him I found on the internet).

Last edited by Chris C.; 02-25-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #32
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes on the right.

Here's a clipping about him

and on the cover

I did this thread some time back, The Iconography Of Evan MacRae. I add to it from time to time when I discover new things with his image

(Due to my closing my Photobucket account most of the photos are gone)

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...d.php?t=128975

The thread was about how the photo below, taken during the period when the pipers of The Cameron Highlanders wore Royal Stewart tartan, crops up over and over, on tea-towels, ash trays, postcards, pottery, almost anything.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 02-26-2018 at 05:32 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #33
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Is the effect of chanter note and drone harmonics when it sounds like the drones change pitch slightly with different chanter notes?
Not quite that, to my ear anyhow. It's more like the chanter and the drones ring with each other more, resonate or come more alive, on some notes more than others.

It's interesting how you can switch the same chanter and reed between two different sets of drones and hear how differently the various notes of the chanter are supported. The two sets of pipes I switch between, these Lawries and the old Starcks, are attractive to me because of how strongly the drones resonate with the note F.

Seems to me that all drones ring well with Low A, C, and E. It's the other notes, B, D, F, and High G that seem to vary so much from pipe to pipe.

That's just my experience, other people will probably feel differently.