Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #31
Bassbone_mh
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: To Goose or not to Goose

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet in this thread but the main advantage for me in using either a goose or pipes w/ the drones either corked or taken out and corked, is that I get the correct playing position.

With a practice chanter, it's just sticking straight out from my face. When I go to play it on the bagpipe, the position is more out in front, up and down, and a little to the side. For some reason that throws me off. Practicing it on goose, for me, removes that transitioning distraction with the added benefit of getting me used to the blow/squeeze that accompanies it.

An alternative I've tried is attaching a 8-12" length of flexible tubing to the mouthpiece of the PC. This is still mouth blown but now it can be played in the correct position (as an actual chanter would be).

Further more, for me, the difference between actual hole sizes from the practice chanter to the pipe chanter also throws me off. It's just a different feel, especially on burls. I find, after working the PC for all the usual technique stuff, moving to the bagpipe with the drones removed and stocks corked allows me to focus on my fingering/technique w/o the added effort/distractions of the drones.

Other than snare/drums, I can't think of another instrument that has a separate tool/instrument devoted specifically to the practice of that instrument.
Bassbone_mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #32
Neal Hinerman
Forum Member

I've always felt the same way about the angle differences between the practice chanter and the pipe chanter, especially with birls. Very easy on the PC, less so on the pipes. Given that I live in an apartment with lots of neighbors I needed something that allowed me to practice in a manner that imitated the pipes.

So I started using a goose. I have an old set of Sinclairs, and use the bag with 2 of the stocks corked and the third set up with an adjustable 1/4" brass needle valve pushed into a stopper with a hole in the center. The valve allows me to control the rate at which air escapes the bag, getting it close to the airflow in the pipes. The goal is to get the breathing rate to match that used on the pipes.

Then I have the Goose Adapter with Airflow Valve from Piper's Choice:

http://piperschoice.com/bagpipe-acce...low-valve.html

This increases the pressure required to sound the practice chanter reed. I could set up my manometer to get it closer to the pressure required for the big pipes if I really needed to, but this works perfectly for me.
Neal Hinerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #33
Ron Teague
Holy smoking keyboard!

one further advantage of using a goose. This is from a prior teacher of mine Donald Shaw Ramsey. Using a goose helps developing the lips so that one doesn't drool on the pipes. Learning a tune on the p/c allows one to cheat unless one can do circular breathing which I can't do. Donald Shaw could as could Archie Cairns, but I never could master it. I just blew snot on myself and choked on saliva. Not a pretty picture. so a goose helps with not only controlling pressure control but also builds up lip strength. Should pipers who can't do circular breathing use a goose? YEP!

The Cheesy Piobaireachd Player
Ron Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:23 AM   #34
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

Another advantage would be the obvious: fingerholes always feel different on a pipe chanter than they do on a practice chanter.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #35
Neal Hinerman
Forum Member

I use a Mark Cushing practice chanter with my goose. It is the closest PC I've found that matches a pipe chanter, because it has deep counter-bored holes.
Neal Hinerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #36
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Hinerman View Post
I use a Mark Cushing practice chanter with my goose. It is the closest PC I've found that matches a pipe chanter, because it has deep counter-bored holes.

I have a Mark Cushing A SSP chanter with a PC top he made for it. I used it and a Cushing Bflat PC as SSP Chanters in my first set of borderpipes some 20 years ago because they were robust enough to lay with the border drones. I eventually sold the Bflat PC but still have the A PC and a goose adapter, but I tend to do my practicing on the Lowland pipes, smallpipes or GHB
Old 02-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #37
JayBob

Here's my two penneth! Always when learning a new tune I use the PC while slowly sorting the tune out , when I feel I've got the gist of the tune I move to a goose (synthetic bannantine bag w/o drone stocks) which I had a chanter and blowpipe stock made to suit my PC.It makes it sooo much easier to keep the tune going without having to look for a rest point in the tune to inhale, this is before moving on to the GHB.
For me , I personally think a goose is very important in the whole process, whether it's your GHB corked up or an actual goose.............but that's just me!
JayBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #38
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I often simply cork my drone stocks and use an easier reed in a regular chanter.

At this time of year, it is a very unnerving way to hear just how sloppy my fingers have got in spite of lots of PC time.

Charlie
Old 02-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #39
KeithAlex344

I agree with JayBob. I use my shuttles to do this instead of a goose but same same. Suppose a person could try circular breathing. I've never had the patiences to sit down and figure it out... and I have shuttle pipes...
KeithAlex344 is offline   Reply With Quote