Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #41
stp
Forum Member

Default Re: Hands Reversed

I write with my right hand.. Right hand guitar strummer ,Golf, hockey left handed.
I tried for 2 weeks to play the "proper" way and I could not do it. It felt so un-natural and awkward to me..

I have about 8 hours on the pipes, I piay with bag on left shoulder right hand on top. I do find the reach on my low hand (right hand) pretty tricky. I am using a M Canmore bag. I am hoping a different size bag or different brand will ease the reach.. I tried with bag on right shoulder and felt that was awkward...
stp is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #42
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp View Post
I write with my right hand.. Right hand guitar strummer ,Golf, hockey left handed.
I tried for 2 weeks to play the "proper" way and I could not do it. It felt so un-natural and awkward to me..

I have about 8 hours on the pipes, I piay with bag on left shoulder right hand on top. I do find the reach on my low hand (right hand) pretty tricky. I am using a M Canmore bag. I am hoping a different size bag or different brand will ease the reach.. I tried with bag on right shoulder and felt that was awkward...
Bold added for focus.

You said you can't play the "proper" way (left top, right bottom), but then said that your right had in your low hand.

You've confused me here.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #43
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Strayer View Post
This is what happened to the P/M of my own band, who also came from a long family tradition of pipers and up through the army piping system. He's left handed but plays with the bag under the left arm and hands reversed, because he was not allowed to put the bag under is right arm.
Not allowed by whom I wonder.

I've heard it said many times that "the army" forced 'lefthanded' pipers to switch the bag to the left side, yet a large number of photographs over the years show 'lefthanded' pipers with the bag on the right side in the Scottish regiments.

As you suggest it might have varied from band to band; PM Evan MacRae had numerous 'lefthanded' pipers and he let them be.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #44
MacDhughaill
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp View Post
The reach on my low hand (right hand) pretty tricky. I am using a M Canmore bag. I am hoping a different size bag or different brand will ease the reach.. I tried with bag on right shoulder and felt that was awkward...
What you are looking for is the L&M hot dog bag. Medium would work..it is longer and more narrow. This will help a great deal...the canmore is like a football under your arm.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:09 AM   #45
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
As you suggest it might have varied from band to band; PM Evan MacRae had numerous 'lefthanded' pipers and he let them be.
Different regiments, battalions, and bands would have had their own standards, and remember that in these bands the Pipe Major's word was law.

That said, I don't think attempting to stem the tide in a band like the Queen's Own would have been a worthwhile exercise.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #46
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Here's Evan as part of a Cameron Highlanders trio including a 'lefthanded' player

The Black Watch, back in the day: the Pipe Major himself plays reversed

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 04-28-2015 at 05:52 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #47
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I play with bag on left shoulder right hand on top.

How do you strike in?
Strike the bag, then quickly move the right hand to E?

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:13 AM   #48
ironron
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3214 View Post
As to the photo...what makes you think he is playing?
Jim pride..of the royal scots grays. on the front of the record sleeve .. lost the top of one of his fingers in a car accident
..that's why he plays that way.
ironron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #49
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

"How do you strike in?
Strike the bag, then quickly move the right hand to E?"

Yes, that's exactly what I do. Strike in, grab the chanter with my right hand, and move up to the E. There's more time than people think to set your fingers and lock in. Don't think I've missed an E yet.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #50
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

Duplicate post.