Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #31
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Britain to Ban Ivory Sales to Stamp Out 'Abhorrent' Trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post

Under US Federal law, you can sell your bagpipe containing African elephant ivory within your state if you can demonstrate that your ivory was lawfully imported prior to January 18, 1990. A certificate or letter from a recognized authority will suffice.

You do not need to obtain a permit for sales within a state however you should be prepared to provide appropriate documentation to the Fish and Wildlife Service if asked. You should also pass along all documentation to the buyer.

Not all states allow the sale of ivory as indicated above.

Ringo
info@thebagpipeplace.com
Ron,.. Can you pls advise which are among. “..not all states allow..”

Also,where could one find a resource to i.d. qualified recognized authorities.. Are they someway recognized/certified by the feds?

eBay ,my understanding, won’t list ivory ‘stuff’ for sale’; I’m wondering if BDF has a similar obligation?
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #32
12cmgc
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Curious,....What was the allure for this set,..versus a getting a new set from eg Naill or others, etc...mounted as you wanted? Or a vintage set sans ivory.
For me.... my pipes were custom made in 1951. Played in the '52 Worlds in Ayr with Shotts ...and their crowning as World Champions that year. Also played by a Lone Piper at the Edinburgh Tattoo and with the military..... KOSB. They sound superb... and are a piece of history past.... to be kept as such.

The con.... silver and ivory make this a weighty instrument to play compared to the modern.

My second option was a WW1 set.... with ivory as well.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #33
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper Q View Post

Perhaps within 10 to 20 years lab grown ivory may become available. Be honest, if some labs are experimenting with growing animal proteins (aka meat) in the lab for potential human consumption, how much further is the step to lab grown Ivory?
From what I have seen it looks that they are onto that already, they even seemed to have success doing so, but yes it certainly needs time before this really gets going.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #34
Ringo
Forum Clasp

This is the best information I've found on state-by-state law. http://fitzgibbonlaw.com/understanding-ivory-law/ It's a lengthy read but very worthwhile. I love that they wrote "Having shown that the current federal laws are complex and confusing, it is time to try to make sense of it all in layman terms."

"qualified recognized authority"... No doubt there are several. I can't speak for all however I've been dealing with US and Canadian government agencies for many years now. I prepare a document that I call a "Certificate of Authenticity" and they're pretty comprehensive. I embed pictures and provide the history and all known details regarding the bagpipe. I can usually cover this in 3 or 4 pages however my most complicated project ended up being 11 pages. For insurance purposes I'm happy to provide an opinion of current market value. I've prepared hundreds of these certificates for individuals around the world. I guess you could say that my work is universally accepted.

Ringo
info@thebagpipeplace.com
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #35
MichelleB
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Curious,....What was the allure for this set,..versus a getting a new set from eg Naill or others, etc...mounted as you wanted? Or a vintage set sans ivory.
Actually, while I had paid for them, they had not shipped. After reading the ivory laws more thoroughly I changed my mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
MichelleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #36
ironron
Forum Member

ill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Livingstone View Post
According to DEFRA (Department for the Evironment, Food & Rural Affairs), the U.K. government department which will be administering the enhanced legislation, exemptions will include:-

"Musical instruments made before 1975 which consist of less than 20% ivory in total"

I would think that would actually cover at least 95% of the world's Highland pipes with any ivory at all on them.

The issue, as el gaitero wisely points out, will be proving it. I'll certainly be getting a renewed certificate of authenticity for my 120 year old Henderson's at the earliest opportunity. I do have one already which I obtained about twenty five years ago for insurance purposes but the Piping business that issued it is no more and I think it worthwhile to get something current.

At least it will be better than the 1947 law ,, which was a complete bodge up..& ill thought though when you consider hardies were still selling & putting ivory on their pipes in the 1970ts..I bought a new set from them ..
ironron is offline   Reply With Quote