Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #31
ironron
Forum Member

Default Re: New set of pipes

If plastic had been around in the 19 century the early pipe makers would have used it ..
Just my opinion ..
ironron is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #32
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post
Plastic will absorb the sun differently. And obviously not absorb moisture. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I realize the OP has already made a decision, but since the thread is still going on, I figured I'd throw my two cents in. My first set of pipes were Dunbar P1s. I remember liking them, although I only played them as my main set for a couple years. Cut to 2018. I'm mostly playing 2007 McCallums (band) and 1940s Hendersons (solo). The only things I remember disliking about the old Dunbars were - since they were plain-turned - they really looked like plastic, and that they changed pitch a lot quicker than the wooden pipes in my band.

A couple weeks ago one of the guys in my band picked up a set of Dunbar P3s so he wouldn't have to deal with taking his old S&I Hardies across the border to Canada for Maxville. I tuned him up with those pipes the other weekend. They sounded pretty darn good. Good enough that I started looking around, and ended up picking up a set of used set of Dunbar P1s - just like my first set. They sound pretty darn good too. I don't know as I'd use them for solos, but first impressions are that they're a solid, bomb-proof set that will do well for situations where I don't want to risk my wood pipes. They may make the trip across the pond with me next year for the lower-levels of the worlds.
Mainebagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #33
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat View Post

So I officially got the royal nod to buy a second set of pipes. I currently have 1920's Lawries with full Ivory and obviously love them for a number of reasons, but I also love the sound of Hendersons.

I would like to be able to take them overseas without worrying about CITES...

...either McCallums or Dunbars... Eezedrone reeds...
I know I'm coming late to this and everyone has discussed the topic for three pages.

Yet I'm going to go back directly to the OP and address things from what I know.

1) I've owned Lawries from 1900 to 1975 and several in between and I love them too. With old and new I find Original Kinnairds to be my favourite reeds. I've found EzeeDrones to be unstable and finicky in my Lawries, old and newer.

2) I've owned Dunbars (ABW, CocoBolo, and poly) and McCallums (ABW) and both are fine pipes but I prefer the sound and performance of Dunbars. Once again Original Kinnairds have worked for me better than EzeeDrones in the four sets of Dunbars I've owned.

3) ABW requires CITES for international posting but ABW items can be carried on international flights as a personal item.

I myself sold my old ivory Lawries due to concerns (ivory is illegal to possess in the US without the proper forms) and I bought a couple non-ivory vintage sets, one Lawrie and one a possible Lawrie, both fine pipes and IMHO better pipes in some ways than new pipes.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #34
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebagpipes View Post
I realize the OP has already made a decision, but since the thread is still going on, I figured I'd throw my two cents in. My first set of pipes were Dunbar P1s. I remember liking them, although I only played them as my main set for a couple years. Cut to 2018. I'm mostly playing 2007 McCallums (band) and 1940s Hendersons (solo). The only things I remember disliking about the old Dunbars were - since they were plain-turned - they really looked like plastic, and that they changed pitch a lot quicker than the wooden pipes in my band.

A couple weeks ago one of the guys in my band picked up a set of Dunbar P3s so he wouldn't have to deal with taking his old S&I Hardies across the border to Canada for Maxville. I tuned him up with those pipes the other weekend. They sounded pretty darn good. Good enough that I started looking around, and ended up picking up a set of used set of Dunbar P1s - just like my first set. They sound pretty darn good too. I don't know as I'd use them for solos, but first impressions are that they're a solid, bomb-proof set that will do well for situations where I don't want to risk my wood pipes. They may make the trip across the pond with me next year for the lower-levels of the worlds.

I often thought BJ about my old poly Dunbar’s. Rentals from my high school band.

Bomb proof is right. Air Canada tested that theory for me lol

I’ve got no issues with wooden or poly either way, but I play ABW now solely because they’re mine.

I think the OP is better off buying a poly set given all the circumstance.

They cost less and aside from hemp and reeds, maintenance consists of airing em out when they’re wet.

But there will always be purists out there swearing by a certain age and grade of wood, cane reeds cut at a certain time of year from a certain part of the world, and sheepskin bags made only from sheep who lived X years and had a name known throughout a small highland village. Lol

End of the day I’d rather see someone play than not. If you can’t afford, get or justify ABW, polys good enough.

Professional solos at the Worlds might not be the place for them, but there’ll always be a place...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:39 AM   #35
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

To go back to the original post: yes, you're correct that international travel with an ivory-mounted set is a bad idea. The rest is a matter of opinion: in a grade 4 band, Dunbar or McCallum, plastic or blackwood, would be fine. Setting them up to be steady and tunable is much more important than the material they're made from, and it's perfectly possible with any of these options.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:07 PM   #36
Kittykat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
I know I'm coming late to this and everyone has discussed the topic for three pages.

Yet I'm going to go back directly to the OP and address things from what I know.

1) I've owned Lawries from 1900 to 1975 and several in between and I love them too. With old and new I find Original Kinnairds to be my favourite reeds. I've found EzeeDrones to be unstable and finicky in my Lawries, old and newer.
That is good to know, I might get myself some Original Kinnards and see how they go, thanks.