Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Hands Reversed

Here is a picture from about 30 years ago. It was taken in Florida at Disney World. The white tunics were only worn in very hot places. The 1 btn Irish Rangers are seen here marching into a section of the park. Notice the piper to the right of the bass drum. He is playing with his hands in reverse of the standard or accepted placement. I have never seen anyone play like this from the left side.
Anyone on the Forums learn or play this way?

Dave Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
George M
Forum Member

Default Re: Hands Reversed

Dave,
I have just got the Vale of Atholl DVD Back to the Future and one of the pipers is playing this way.
By the way I thought the DVD was great.
George.
George M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gallagher View Post
Here is a picture from about 30 years ago. It was taken in Florida at Disney World. The white tunics were only worn in very hot places. The 1 btn Irish Rangers are seen here marching into a section of the park. Notice the piper to the right of the bass drum. He is playing with his hands in reverse of the standard or accepted placement. I have never seen anyone play like this from the left side.
Anyone on the Forums learn or play this way?

..like right handed pipers I always wonder."..who teaches these guys... that didn't give them a thwack on the head [or hands ] at the very first lesson??.." yet they seem credible MoD issue players.

Like other old(er) pictures in another recent Post regarding 'daywear sporrans'... it's nice to see this troop wearing their kilts smartly above the knee... tho [unlike the other photos] their hose seem an inch or more too high.

Last edited by el gaitero; 05-10-2013 at 07:28 PM.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
FFHG
Forum Regular

We have a piper in our band that plays with reversed hands. He lost part of his little finger but since it is rare to find equipment made to play on the right, he adjusted.
FFHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFHG View Post
We have a piper in our band that plays with reversed hands. He lost part of his little finger but since it is rare to find equipment made to play on the right, he adjusted.
....Gotta admire a person who can make that change. Fair play to him.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Scott Bryant
Forum Silver Medal

I've known a few P/M's that wouldn't allow playing on the right side.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

My original post is not about playing on the right side. It's about playing on the left side with the hands reversed.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
john voorhees
Forum Member

I can't remember where I found this on the web but a exercise in reading music. the instructor advised when the tune learned the right way to try the same tune WITH HANDS REVERSED. I thought this a little strange until tried.
Believe me it's not easy. (this was refering to practice chanter)
john voorhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Not as uncommon as you might think for pipers to play with the drones on the left shoulder but the right hand on top. There have been a couple of top pipers down the years who have played this way - I seem to think that P/M Donald MacLean of Lewis may have been one of these. There have been others and I think there may even be one or two currently on the professional solo circuit in Scotland.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
..like right handed pipers I always wonder."..who teaches these guys... that didn't give them a thwack on the head [or hands ] at the very first lesson??.." Sniped

So violence towards students is the answer? Thankfully I learned from people that were more interested in music than appearance.

I would play like that if I was using a left shoulder pipe. The problem with holding a pipe like that in a pipe band setting is striking in.

Paul

Last edited by Paul M Burke; 05-11-2013 at 01:34 AM. Reason: To indicate that the Quoted post was sniped.
Paul M Burke is offline   Reply With Quote