Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-30-2015, 09:43 PM   #1
Ron Teague
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Oh NO! There is a heat wave in the UK!!

I have seen that there is a blistering heat wave in the UK! How do all of the UK pipers cope? 33 C and no relief in sight! I feel for all of my friends in the UK. Today in Central California it was a breezy 42 C. Piping is impossible unless one likes SAUNA PIPING. Summers in California makes one HATE to wear the Kilt. Why can't one wear Bermuda Shorts with no skivvies during a competition in California during the summer? Moisture problems in California, non existent. I have had to put ice in the bag which evaporates rapidly just to get the drones to not freak out. If you don't like the heat don't compete in Pleasanton, California. I think we should have a tartan sweat band be part of the pipers kit. I mean really, have you ever had so much sweat piping that you can't see and your hands are dripping so much that you can't get a seal on the chanter? Welcome to summers in central California.

The Cheesy Piobaireachd Player
Ron Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-30-2015, 11:32 PM   #2
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Oh NO there is a heat wave in the UK!!

Ahhh..feel the heeeeat...
This will be my first trek to Pleasanton. I haven't comped in SF since the Santa Rosa days, but I was young then and Sonoma heat didn't seem so bad. I played outdoors at lunchtime today, as I always do, and it was solidly over the ton. The drones were well-oiled and my normally Bb chanter was in the upper 470s. 20 minutes was all I could stand, then back to air conditioning for me and a slow cool down for the sticks.

Mad dogs and Englishmen...I am neither.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:34 AM   #3
GordonLawrie
Forum Silver Medal

Guys - it's all a matter of relativity. The pipe's natural habitat is horizontal rain at 5 degrees Celsius.

Here in balmy Peebles where it's a heady 16 degrees this morning I can barely breathe ;-)
GordonLawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:17 AM   #4
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

We're suffering with 28c and 65% humidity and a slightly cool breeze. That's the Galilee coast. Inland is hotter. Here I don't even own an air conditioner. Perfect piping would be a little cooler.

Could be much hotter tomorrow with a desert wind and a severe drop in humidity. A real reed wrecker.

London can have warm summers, and if you're staying in a old, cheap pub room where the windows only open a crack, you're sunk. London runs out of fans very quickly.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:16 AM   #5
gisahag
Forum Regular

No matter how hot or cold it is, if you aren't sweating buckets when playing your pipes you need a harder reed
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:17 AM   #6
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Well it you feel the conditions are just a bit off where you are, may I recommend a summer on the Mississippi Gulf Coast? You get both Heat & Humidity. 92.5 Degrees Farenheit/33.6 Celius & 61% relative humidity out doors...

Cheers from Hell's Summer Paradise.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #7
Mike S
Forum Silver Medal

Exactly! Now you know how it feels here in the Southern United States, where wool and the weather rarely mix harmoniously!

We have to truly suffer here when celebrating our heritage.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:53 AM   #8
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yet nothing in paying homage to one's heritage demands that clothing be the dominant necessary symbol of that homage. I guarantee that evev if we had any Scots living here in the desert areas Scottish woolens would not even be a martyr's option. Anywhere like the Gulf of Mexico is shade piping and t-shirts. Marching and dressing in wool can't be good for the music.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:05 AM   #9
GordonLawrie
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
even if we had any Scots living here in the desert areas Scottish woolens would not even be a martyr's option. Anywhere like the Gulf of Mexico is shade piping and t-shirts. Marching and dressing in wool can't be good for the music.
Your view is entirely sensible ;-)

Have a look at some pictures of the military options (along with some fascinating insight into a troubled history).

http://www.rememberingscotlandatwar....tten-confllict
GordonLawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #10
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Teague View Post
I think we should have a tartan sweat band be part of the pipers kit. I mean really, have you ever had so much sweat piping that you can't see and your hands are dripping so much that you can't get a seal on the chanter? .
Or a Golf Towel, to wipe off sweat between sets. I have seen Pipers doing that on some of the Piping Live videos.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote