Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Kittykat
Forum Regular

Default New set of pipes

So I officially got the royal nod to buy a second set of pipes. I currently have 1920's Lawries with full Ivory and obviously love them for a number of reasons, but I also love the sound of Hendersons.

I would like to be able to take them overseas without worrying about CITES and be able to play them in a Grade 4 band situation and keep my Lawries for solo.

I've been researching up the wazoo and going round in circles (too scared to commit!)

I'm tied between getting either McCallums or Dunbars. I also have no idea if Wood or Poly would be better for a second set... I'm stomped. I will use a Ross Hybrid bag and a Kyo chanter, Eezedrone reeds.

Pointers? Experiences? Recommendations?
Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default Re: New set of pipes

Itís my understanding that ABW only requires a CITES permit for sale or commercial export/import.

So THEORETICALLY you can travel for personal use and come back as long as their not bought or sold on the trip.

That being said poly makes for no worries on travel, and I happen to have a set for sale lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I first see your criteria: no CITES and BAND, but your brand has come down to what sounds Henderson-ish. Since theyíre made by Dunbar, I would probably go with Jim McGillivrayís reproduction MacPhee!

I also wonder why Ezee...for band. That strikes me as odd. Bands are generally after bold chanters which need bold drones also. In addition, the tenors howl and gurgle a bit on strike in, I would look elsewhere for more band friendly reeds (original Kinnaird or Selbie).
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
Kittykat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post

I also wonder why Ezee...for band. That strikes me as odd. Bands are generally after bold chanters which need bold drones also. In addition, the tenors howl and gurgle a bit on strike in, I would look elsewhere for more band friendly reeds (original Kinnaird or Selbie).
Thanks Patrick for your quick reply. I find that the Ezee goes really well in the Lawries, lock in quickly, I did put some Kinnaird Evolution in once but they were too buzzy.

Wouldn't the McGillivray pipes have issues with Blackwood and CITES?
Old 07-22-2018, 03:33 AM   #5
mcaskill
Forum Member

I notice you are in Australia. There are some very good dealers there and they will take care of importing, CITES and any warranty issues. I have purchased a set from The School of Piping Shop before and can highly recommend them. They will do most brands, but I purchased a set of McRae pipes and must say I am absolutely blown away by them. The shop will be happy to chat to you and give you advice on set up etc. You will receive a pipe that has been set up properly and played. Can't recommend them highly enough.

PS, you will be disappointed if you go with plastic.
mcaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:55 AM   #6
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Look here at the bottom of the page.
http://www.piping.on.ca/browseproducts.asp?catID=146

All Jim's repro pipes can be made in Mexican royal ebony, or katalox, which sounds much like Cocuswood it is said, and is not restricted.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:23 AM   #7
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat View Post
I did put some Kinnaird Evolution in once but they were too buzzy.

Wouldn't the McGillivray pipes have issues with Blackwood and CITES?
I agree! Original Kinnairds (I like to joke and call them Genesis Kinnairds) aren’t nearly as buzzy as the Evolution.

I guess any blackwood pipe would have the commercial export/import fee from an international sale in countries that follow CITES, but it seemed in your post you were still considering wood pipes. I understand personal, international travel is unrestricted. It’s the ivory that is very impractical to travel with, as you know.

I had a poly set of Dunbars once. Good pipes.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat View Post
So I officially got the royal nod to buy a second set of pipes. I currently have 1920's Lawries with full Ivory and obviously love them for a number of reasons, but I also love the sound of Hendersons.

I would like to be able to take them overseas without worrying about CITES and be able to play them in a Grade 4 band situation and keep my Lawries for solo.

I've been researching up the wazoo and going round in circles (too scared to commit!)

I'm tied between getting either McCallums or Dunbars. I also have no idea if Wood or Poly would be better for a second set... I'm stomped. I will use a Ross Hybrid bag and a Kyo chanter, Eezedrone reeds.

Pointers? Experiences? Recommendations?
With your appreciation for vintage why not keep a lookout for old Lawrie..nickle ferrules/ wood mounts. Or call ahead to shop..buy them in Scotland at CoP or NPC ...it would make a great tale 30 years from now. No duty on the return personal property I believe...insofar as you’re not an importer...and bagpipe-making is not an industry in OZ.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Well...there are pipe makers in Australia:

http://www.macbethandcobagpipes.com/

and Iím sure there are others, but I know naught about them.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Well...there are pipe makers in Australia:

http://www.macbethandcobagpipes.com/

and Iím sure there are others, but I know naught about them.
There are in USA too...but itís not significant industry adversely impacted by the duty free importation of pipes from uk or can. Perhaps I misspoke,however, by assuming in OZ pipes are also duty free.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote