Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #21
Andrew L. Hagen
Forum Regular

Default Re: I made my own pipe bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Hmm...Andrew, I'd be interested to know what you'd have to charge for one of these bags in order to make a healthy living at it. Think some people might find the number surprising.

A living? Is this with or without the cost of private health insurance? In any case, a bag like this would certainly cost a lot. It takes about 7 days to make one. Not something you cookie cut, slap together, and send out, for sure.

Having said that, it is possible to tear these bags apart, refurbish and replace the lining, and refinish the exterior. Since it's possible renew them, the bag should last, and that justifies the price (whatever that'll be).

I'm just not quite ready to start selling. I'm discovering new issues, new solutions, new possibilities (like matching round-braided leather cords, or wide and flat-braided leather "ribbons" - still in the R&D phase.
Andrew L. Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-25-2018, 07:01 AM   #22
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Well, I did say healthy living, so I think you'd have to factor that in, definitely

People often don't realise how much time goes into making some of the things we use (speaking as someone who is a third of the way through making his own kilt jacket, and has been for a year...)
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:22 AM   #23
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew L. Hagen View Post
I'm just not quite ready to start selling. I'm discovering new issues, new solutions, new possibilities (like matching round-braided leather cords, or wide and flat-braided leather "ribbons" - still in the R&D phase.
Research and development is a huge part of any product. If, as you were saying above, the bag can be re-lined and the outer part kept intact, would it be possible to consider the artistic part more along the lines of a bag cover? I love the tailored and riveted tightness of your initial work, but I wonder if a looser, tooled leather bag cover might go further toward an achievable production model.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:08 AM   #24
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

I've wondered why more bag makers don't use the riveted method rather than glue which always seems to have leak issues.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:36 AM   #25
Andrew L. Hagen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers View Post
Research and development is a huge part of any product. If, as you were saying above, the bag can be re-lined and the outer part kept intact, would it be possible to consider the artistic part more along the lines of a bag cover? I love the tailored and riveted tightness of your initial work, but I wonder if a looser, tooled leather bag cover might go further toward an achievable production model.

I think it's possible for a tooled bag cover, however there's a host of complications given that tooling leather doesn't bend like cloth. First, the cover would likely be more expensive than the bag it's covering, such is the case with anything hand-tooled. (It's like hand-engraving on silver - and maybe a little more work given the dyes, antiquing, and finishes, and whatnot.)

It is possible for a bag cover to be able to accommodate different shapes of bags - somewhat, kinda, but the neck would have to be tailored, or you'll either end up with a bag cover interfering with the way the chanter sits, or a great, big, over-accommodating and stupid-looking cuff over the chanter stock. The cuffs for the stocks would have to be tailored - again, cloth is much more forgiving.

It is possible to use two different types of leather, and I think I'll take it this direction, but the extra hours braiding or riveting and/or gluing all that together will add to cost. But then, we are talking about the coolest bag cover ever.
Andrew L. Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:32 AM   #26
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Andrew, thatís beautiful work... thanks for sharing!

To cover that with anything would be sacrilege but as it stands it wouldnít go down well with Pipey!

Itís lovely to see someone trying something out of the ordinary, especially when it ends up with such a fine looking result... great craftsmanship
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #27
MichelleB
Forum Silver Medal

I had the opportunity to see the bag and hear the pipes firsthand a couple weekends ago - looked and sounded beautiful! It's really amazing to me that someone could make this.
MichelleB is offline   Reply With Quote