Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Pipe Bands
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pipe Bands For everything or anything related to Pipe Bands..

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default How many gigs?

About how many gigs does your band play a year?
How many are paying gigs?
Or does your band only compete?

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: How many gigs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Piper View Post
About how many gigs does your band play a year?
How many are paying gigs?
Or does your band only compete?

-Matthew
I’ll go out on a limb to say even bands who ‘only compete’ take on paying gigs for fun ( split the proceeds) and/or funding to support the band.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

When I played with a local band some years back, I seem to remember they did approximately 10-12 gigs throughout the year, and they would probably do about 3 or 4 competitions.

Most people did their best to show up to as many as they could manage, and that would usually see at minimum about 7-10 pipers per outing, and 4-6 drummers of various sorts. I'd say that's about 50-60% of the total corps.

Looking at the number, it seems like that's a lot, but I never remember feeling that it was excessive. And I don't recall any members complaining about it either. The income would seem to play for the band's expenses quite well, without anyone needing to pay dues. Gas was subsidized for those traveling over a certain amount of miles, drinks were provided for tailgating after every outing, and reeds were also provided to members (within reason ... if someone came to me asking for 2-3 reeds in a month, they'd have gotten a stern look and a talking-to). Chanters were also band property, and occasionally the band might help out members with chipping in for bag replacements, and that sort of thing. Personally, I thought that last bit, while nice, was a little excessive.

Seemed to work well, and I like that the band was constantly going out, being present for the public.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

My local band averages 12-16 gigs a year, of which probably half involve some sort of payment, usually a modest honorarium, although some venues reward us very generously. Because of our isolated location, accessible only by ferry or air, 2 or 3 gigs usually involve travel by ferry and it is very difficult (and expensive) for us to attend competitions.

We have an attendance policy that requires participation in at least 50% + 1 of our gigs. Allowances are made for band members' work or school schedules and illness.

Last edited by acadianpiper; 12-06-2018 at 03:35 PM.
acadianpiper is offline   Reply With Quote