Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
Skyelark
Forum Member

Default Re: Comparing smallpipes

If you are looking at a "practice" instrument, there is a new product out called the twist trap practice pipe. Haven't tried it, but it may be worth a look.

If you are looking for a "performance" instrument, I can recommend the Walsh smallpipes in A. I got mine, mouth blown, and played them like that for a couple of years as I was getting back into piping. A really nice, plug-n-play set that I played a lot. I then "upgraded" the set by adding a set of Simon Hope bellows, hide bag & a specially made cane chanter reed by Chris Apps. I really enjoy playing them and they sound pretty good. So, would recommend that as an option.

I am considering now, either trading them in for a set of smallpipes in C, or trying to see if a C chanter would be able to work with my existing walsh drones? Anyone playing in C with A drones? Is that even possible? Or willing to trade (partial or full) a set of C pipes for my A's?

G
Skyelark is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-12-2018, 06:44 AM   #12
Lochie
Forum Regular

Walsh does make a bellows conversion for his mouth blown smallpipes, but I've never tried them. My other bellows sets all came with their own.
I also compete in solos, so I'm required to march a bit to keep the judges happy.
I can practice that very easily with my Walsh pipes, but I doubt I'm co-ordinared enough to try that with my bellows set.
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #13
eben.yonnetti
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Thanks to all for your helpful replies.

I am not necessarily looking for a performance set, although I wouldn't want to put that out of the question for the future. Definitely looking for bellows blown ones.

Does anyone have experience with the Morrison smallpipes?
eben.yonnetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #14
salmunmousavi
Forum Member

I can only speak on my experience which is as follows:

I have a set of mouthblown MacLellan studio pipes in Bb that Im very happy with, especially since I live in a city where practicing the GHBs is not always easy. I can play in my apartment bedroom without risk of bothering anybody, and the sound is very robust and nice.

The only drawback that I have found with my smallpipes is that since the bores for the drones are much, much narrower than the GHBs, the smallpipes drones are much more susceptible to shutting off because of condensation buildup. I also live in an apartment that is not insulated, so it is 45 inside in the winter, and this happens more frequently.

So while there are things to be wary of, I can not recommend smallpipes any higher. They are a fantastic source of practice and a wonderful instrument unto themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #15
Lochie
Forum Regular

Congrats on choosing bellows, a small learning curve well worth the effort....
You can play cane reeds and not worry too much, provided mother nature co-operates where you live....and if she does I'm jealous...
One thought, if going cane, a maker of repute who lives in the same climate as you do will make your life much easier....the reed will likely be more user friendly....
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #16
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

If you're looking for a way to practice your fingerwork, then an electronic bagpipe is perfect. I have technopipes and I can play them anywhere, anytime.

In an urban environment I rarely find it difficult to find a place to practice highland pipes. Parking garages, parks, etc. I was practicing in a traffic circle in Washington DC near the Afghan Embassy. After 45 minutes or so I happened to turn around and realized you could see the White House from my location.

I have mouthblown plastic ssp by Duncan Soutar of St Andrews. I like them a lot, but I rarely play them unless I have a specific purpose because I really just like Highland Pipes better.