Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-08-2018, 07:17 AM   #11
DapperDan
Forum Member

Default Re: Canmore Hybrid bags

I've been eyeballing a Canmore hybrid for a spare set of pipes that may have a worn bannatyne bag. I want to either sell them or set them up as parade/band pipes maybe, but would want them to be airtight first in either case.

My question is, how does the blowpipe stock grommet on the Canmore hybrid compare to the one on the Bannatyne? Is it positioned differently? In a promotional video for the bag, I believe Craig Munro said the Canmore hybrid bag was recently re-designed with the positioning of this grommet made more comfortable. On the Bannatyne bag on the pipes now, the blowpipe doesn't point towards my mouth, at all (sticks up almost parallel to my neck). I'm not saying this is a problem with the product, thats just how it sits for me with the way I hold my pipes, and the pressure on the grommet (not to mention my teeth) can't be good. Since you can't tie in your own stocks with these, I'm wondering if there's a difference.

Last edited by DapperDan; 12-08-2018 at 07:21 AM. Reason: typo
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #12
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I've been eyeballing a Canmore hybrid for a spare set of pipes that may have a worn bannatyne bag. I want to either sell them or set them up as parade/band pipes maybe, but would want them to be airtight first in either case.

My question is, how does the blowpipe stock grommet on the Canmore hybrid compare to the one on the Bannatyne? Is it positioned differently? In a promotional video for the bag, I believe Craig Munro said the Canmore hybrid bag was recently re-designed with the positioning of this grommet made more comfortable. On the Bannatyne bag on the pipes now, the blowpipe doesn't point towards my mouth, at all (sticks up almost parallel to my neck). I'm not saying this is a problem with the product, thats just how it sits for me with the way I hold my pipes, and the pressure on the grommet (not to mention my teeth) can't be good. Since you can't tie in your own stocks with these, I'm wondering if there's a difference.
I’ll be helping a student put on a new Canmore hybrid in a day or two. Ive installed two myself on my own pipes. I’ve installed 6-8 over the past few years for others. The collars on btyne or Canmore are essentially the same....no major diff to significantly impact the lay of the blowstick. ( unless Canmore has indeed made a major change in the last year or so....doubtful,but I’ll soon see)

What works for me ..previously said here,..is to push the backside of the blowstick stock down further into the bag ( the stock groove will not be locked in the collar ring) . With the backside further in ( less combing- beading exposed) the front outward facing side will have conversely more combing- beading exposed) ,
The effect is the stock will now be pointing towards your mouth. When done right..the mouthpiece tip will always be resting right at your lips. ( it might take more than one attempt to get it just right...then tape it securely in place)

Sidebar comment...I use a tube trap in both my sets. The 90 degree elbow connector to the bstick stock rotates fairly easily as it is positioned with a thick wrap of telfoln tape to avoid rotting,swelling and provide this ‘swing-ability) . Occasionally when bringing the pipes up i might find it good to swing the elbow to a very slightly ‘better’ position from outside the bag ...to also help align the mouthpiece tip a tich.

Key point for me personally is to have that mouthpiece tip rest at my lips when I am looking straight ahead...very slightly ‘up bubble’...not left ,right or downwards.
Good luck..perseverance wins .
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #13
Aaron Shaw
Forum Regular

All the Canmore bags I use (three sets of pipes) position the blowpipe exactly where I want it with no special set-up. I just push the stock into the groove and play. YMMV
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Shaw View Post
All the Canmore bags I use (three sets of pipes) position the blowpipe exactly where I want it with no special set-up. I just push the stock into the groove and play. YMMV
Ha,..I was going to mention you’d said that in an older post. That’s great...I wish I had the same ‘ no fly away’ result ..but nooo. Grr.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #15
DapperDan
Forum Member

Well, I noticed two things after I finished reading this thread:

1. The Bannatyne bag on my spare set of pipes, now that I just checked it, leaks like a sieve. All along the glued seam. It's about 3 years old. Not sure what would have made it deteriorate so badly, maybe it was stored in a hot shed before the vendor who sold me my pipes put in on or something. I know it's a reputable product. I had taken good care of it.
2. Canmore Hybrid bags are, serendipitously, currently on sale at one of the major online vendors here in the US. One is on the way.

I wonder, how did it go for the OP?
Old 12-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #16
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Well, I noticed two things after I finished reading this thread:

1. The Bannatyne bag on my spare set of pipes, now that I just checked it, leaks like a sieve. All along the glued seam. It's about 3 years old. Not sure what would have made it deteriorate so badly, maybe it was stored in a hot shed before the vendor who sold me my pipes put in on or something. I know it's a reputable product. I had taken good care of it.
2. Canmore Hybrid bags are, serendipitously, currently on sale at one of the major online vendors here in the US. One is on the way.

I wonder, how did it go for the OP?
FWIW....you might try a healthy swab of Krazy Glu all along the leaky seam and tape with a good hard roller ( eg small width wallpaper seam roller) . It’s good enough to mend split wood ...and split skin in a wound. Ps...what was the cost of a new hybrid Canmore ?
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM   #17
DapperDan
Forum Member

Cost was about $170 at Henderson's here in the states. Cheaper if you buy direct from Canmore, but then the shipping from Scotland...

Just put it on, which wasn't difficult to do. Just took a little umpf to push the stocks thru. Very well airtight. It's a bit stiff, but I suppose it will become more supple after some playing.
I can't do a thorough comparison for the OP, but it seems to be very well made, maybe just a wee bit smaller around than the Bannatyne for the same size ("medium"). Blowstick sits in about the same place as the Bannatyne.