Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
Winch
Forum Regular

Default Bagpipe Humidification

Hey Pipers!

I live in the mid-Atlantic area and winter is here. I take special care to humidify my acoustic guitars, and I want to care for my pipes as well.

I previously used a small, clay filled guitar humidifier that was sold as a pipe humidifier, and I'm not sure that it does the job. I'm wondering what you folks are using for humidification.

I'm currently using a long surgical tube with a sponge in the middle...I think it was built for string instruments as well.

Thanks!
Winch
Winch is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bagpipe Humidification

I like the clay humidifier. I keep a hygrometer in the case to verify. Used them for years.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

I am no expert- but I've been playing the same set of blackwood pipes for about 15yrs - I'm in a mountain desert, humidity is zero. I've never needed to humidify, though. I thoroughly soak them in oil about every 8-16 months, and that's worked for me so far... That's just me, so take it for whatever it may be worth to you, even if it's value is nill...

Have a good one!
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

If you keep your house Rh at about 45%- <50% your pipes will be fine.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCain View Post
I like the clay humidifier. I keep a hygrometer in the case to verify. Used them for years.
I'm with John; same here.

I'm in Western NY and it is pretty dry here in the winter. I keep a single clay humidifier in each of my cases and that's enough to keep them at ~50% humidity, even if the set isn't currently in rotation. I do use Pelican cases, and they are "sealed" pretty well, so that might be a factor too.

YMMV.

Matt
Old 01-31-2019, 02:59 PM   #6
PMT
Holy smoking keyboard!

Having a humidifier in your case not only protects your instrument, but helps to keep the reeds stable as well. Joints shrink less too which is a great advantage. I have two in my case. Also keeping the case closed is important, I was always taught never to leave pipes out over night, it was always a disaster with cane reeds. The key to maintaining wood in good condition is to keep the moisture level constant. Regular playing, drying any moisture out of the bores, a light clean with some oil occasionally and don't leave them near air-conditioning, heating or in a car.