Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
Angus MacBagpipe
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Squealing/Double-Toning Low A

Hi, All: I have a perplexing problem. My Shepherd MK3 band chanter has developed an annoying squeal/double-tone on the low A, but only when coming to it from a high A (occasionally, but rarely, from the high G). I cannot duplicate the problem on my practice chanter, indicating that I am likely not suddenly dragging a top-hand finger off the hole, and I also cannot duplicate it when coming from any other note on the pipe chanter. It also does not occur when going from the high hand to low G. It does seem to resolve very occasionally when I back off on my squeezing/breathing, but then the other notes and drone consistency suffer.

Any thoughts?

I have a gig with the band tomorrow morning, and I'd like to put this to rest beforehand (I know, dream on!), so any ideas I can chew on between now and then would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Angus MacBagpipe; 01-25-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Angus MacBagpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: Squealing/Double-Toning Low A

I'm no professor, but that sounds like a dying reed to me. I'd recommend trying a different reed.

To get a little more life out of your current reed you might try drying it out in the fridge over night or putting a mandrill inside to open it up a bit...

Best of luck!
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

BaggyMacpipes is correct. The squealing on low A is usually an indication that the reed has become too weak. You can try opening it up with a reed poker, but I would say that reed needs to be replaced.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #4
Angus MacBagpipe

Well, heck-fire. It's a brand new reed (G1 Platinum), issued to me just a few days ago...

Guess I need to get with my PM...

Thanks much for the replies!
Old 01-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

It could be that your thumb isn’t connecting with the hole squarely and so it is partially closed allowing it to act as an octave “key” which then causes the note to jump the octave, or at least squeal unstablely until it drops back down. This is the premise behind the tiny thumb hole on gaita chanters which allow a second octave.

I have had this happen to me with Sinclair chanters, where the high A hole is a tad lower than most other chanters. The problem arose out of the blue a week before the Worlds at the Bridge of Allan (sp?) games. I scratched myself and worked the next week to consciously aim lower for that hole, with success.

I believe this may be your problem since you state it doesn’t happen from other notes. You state it’s a new reed, perhaps it is a little harder than you’re used to and so maybe there’s a change in your grip or at least a change in your fingering focus as you have to concentrate more on blowing?
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

I agree with Patrick's hypothesis of thumb slippage*, especially if your fingers are hard and dry from being cold. One other cause could be that the reed is too dry, but that should right itself with a bit of playing or giving the reed some moisture.

* I slightly open the thumb hole to play a High B when needed
Old 01-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
Angus MacBagpipe

Ah, I think I'm beginning to understand. When I listen closely to the double-tone, it sounds just south of high A: more like the high G. I have planted my thumb over the hole solidly when the low A is squealing, and dragged that sucker every which way over the hole with no improvement. But the pitch was nagging at me. So I began fiddling with the high G and F holes, and noticed that the squealing was improving somewhat. I then began rotating the chanter in the stock and as I did so, the squealing improved even more.

I'm thinking it's not a thumb problem, but more my index and middle finger not making contact because of the chanter not placed properly. At any rate, I think I know what I have to work on.

Thanks again for giving me some ideas to chew on.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 01-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

As the others have intimated, even a tiny bit of 'offness' in the fingers can do weird things with certain notes. I have to watch myself when I go from one chanter to the other (holes are spaced just differently enough).
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:13 AM   #9
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Post a video clip! Post a video clip!
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

How much tape is on the High G?