Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
EyeC
Forum Member

Default Best Book for Piobaireachd Intro?

From experience, is there a "best" intro book for learning the basics of Piobaireachd? I know Archie Cairns' book, and the CoP Book 4 (Yellow) are readily available.

My ultimate goal is to find an instructor, but I'd like to get a head start from a tutoring book. Any recommendations will be appreciated
EyeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
wheels2onfire
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Best Book for Piobaireachd Intro?

I'm no expert, but have been using "The Highland Bagpipe Piobaireachd Tutor Book" available from the National Piping Centre.
https://www.thepipingcentre.co.uk/
wheels2onfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

The CoP yellow book and Jim McGillivray's Piobaireachd Fingerwork both have associated sound files (cd, online files, respectively) and are complimentary. However, having started down this path I can see the benefit of having an instructor.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
Army.Bagpiper
Forum Member

I would actually recommend the opposite! Get yourself the very best instructor you can find, and have the instructor bring you into it.

The most success I have had is with a world class piper and Glenfiddich winner who has not once used a tutor to supplement my lessons. I actually had to rework some fingering which I had learned incorrectly and had reinforced through countless hours of practice while trying to learn from a tutor as I searched for a Piobaireachd instructor.

Just my humble opinion, but save yourself time and frustration and begin cleanly with an instructor who can give you good, solid instruction and keep you from the pitfalls and errors which are too easy to fall into without a teacher.

I am sure you can obtain a recommendation for an instructor who lives close to you if you let folks know where you live - but I would also not discount Piobaireachd by SKYPE lessons either.

For example, I know that Mr. Neil Clark of Great Glen Piping offers lessons over SKYPE for both Light music and Piobaireachd. GREAT Rates for the level of instruction offered!

I also believe that Mr. Nick Hudson offers SKYPE Lessons - he is an active competitor in both the U.S. and Scotland. I have never taken lessons from him but I have met him at games before and he was a gentleman - a very nice person indeed.

Good luck!
Army.Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:53 PM   #5
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'd say go all out to get the instructor in place first as you might inadvertently pick up self taught habits from a book that it's hard to undo later. The National Piping Centre do Skype lessons and you would get a top level instructor of your choice if they still operate in the way they did. Tell them it's Piobaireachd you are particularly wanting to study. It's amazing these days, that geography needn't be a deterrent, and wherever we are in the world we can access first class tuition. Well worth seeking that out imho.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:38 AM   #6
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I tried the COP yellow book. As a book of instruction, itís fine. However, getting one-on-one instruction was far, far better.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
johnsog
Forum Regular

Indeed, having an instructor is the best way to go about this. However, for us luddites with no internet living in rural areas, there aren't a lot of choices. I'm lucky in that I have a pipe major who can help out but not everyone has direct instruction available. In that case, I'd recommend the books; both are great!!
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #8
EyeC
Forum Member

Thanks, all! I truly appreciate the feedback. I've decided to fire up the old webcam, and seek out an instructor who can provide lessons via Skype.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #9
John Cairns
Forum Member

Hi EyeC,

I have just produced the first book in our Piobaireachd series - which is aimed at pipers new to Piobaireachd. If you are interested, I would love to send you a free copy along with the videos (72 of them) for you to use as your intro to Piobaireachd.

All I would ask in return is that you share your thoughts on the book (and videos) on this forum. Not looking for accolades - just an honest opinion.

Normally products like this are reviewed by experienced players or teachers and I cannot think of a better way to get the word out on this product than to have someone new to Piobaireachd try it and then post a review.

Please let me know what you think.

John Cairns
info@bagpipesolutions.com
Old 03-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
EyeC
Forum Member

Wow, I certainly appreciate the offer. I just sent you a private message with my contact info.