Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #11
Bob Harper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Best lathe for making border pipes and GHB repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Excuse my innocence, but why is a metal lathe better for drilling bores than a wood lathe?
My reason for looking at one:Metal lathes generally have a powered screwfeed to move the cutter along the work, allowing you to turn a perfect cylinder, time after time - that provides a good start.
I don't see an advantage in boring. The combination of a spindle support used with gun drills/compressed air allows me to bore easily/quickly/consistently.

Last edited by Bob Harper; 03-11-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Bob Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #12
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
My reason for looking at one:Metal lathes generally have a powered screwfeed to move the cutter along the work, allowing you to turn a perfect cylinder, time after time - that provides a good start.
That's one reason I would like a metal lathe, too. The downside is most of the ones I would want would collapse my basement steps trying to get them into my workshop.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #13
Keith Jeffers
Forum Regular

I own several wood lathes and a metal lathe. The only way I would ever use a metal lathe for bagpipe making is if I hired someone who didn't know how to hand turn and sharpen tools, and at that I would only allow it for roughing blanks and drilling. I would still put a lot of pressure on them to learn to hand turn.
Metal lathes can be painfully slow going if they are small. You would need to get a large one to be efficient.

Barry, I PM'd you my phone number. Feel free to call.
Keith Jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #14
Wayne Fisher
Forum Regular

I agree with you Keith, I have both metal and wood lathes but use the wood lathe 95% of the time. Everything is done by hand on the wood lathe. I have a small metal lathe which I only use for threading mounts and making odd metal parts here and there.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #15
Smjprogrammer
Forum Silver Medal

The way I see it depending on what part of the world you live in you can either get the perfect lathe for pipe making, or an ok lathe made in china. A metal lathe would be nice just to turn everything down into the round. Then bore it all, and let it season. Do all the profiling with calipers on a wood lathe at a speed no faster than 400 to 700 rpm’s. Issue there is finding a wood lathe that does those speeds. The answer is pay way too much money for a 1940's Union Jubilee, or Union Graduate both of which are only found in the UK. Also there size and weight are a bit overkill of border pipes I would imagine.
Smjprogrammer is offline   Reply With Quote