Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #11
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Oiling

It's living right beside the mighty Columbia that sends the warm, moist air to maintain your pipes at the most desirable level of humidity, piper01888! Ideal constant conditions form pipes as long as bears don't get them.
Btw, you have in Trail one of the nicest little communities of Arts & Crafts houses I've ever seen.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #12
tnbagpiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Oil choice can vary I use Sweet Almond Oil, 100% Pure and have used Hardie's black wood oil.
Being a woodworker, as well as a piper, I would caution taking any position that would not keep you from applying some oil to your pipes.
Much depends on the finish the pipe maker used on your pipes, so check with them first.
I would also suggest that you take note of where most cracks begin. I have only seen them start on the ends of the wood. Wood dead or alive takes in water mostly by way of the ends of the grain. It is drawn up by Capillary action. This is an area I notice to be very dry on most pipes. Suggest that the ends be waxed or oiled regularly if you play in damp climates or find your self playing in the rain. We have all been there. A few years back I found myself in a mass bands when a very heavy blinding down pour opened up on us. I learned of 5 pipers having pipes split that day. I suspect swelling of hemped joints added to that issue. Carry cork grease available from most music stores or in an emergency use chap lip balm and coat your hemp joints with it.Teflon tape only works here if the hemp is completely covered over the edges etc so that moister does not wick in.
Cheers
tnbagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #13
Piper Iņaki
Forum Regular

I use olive oil virgen extra. Here in Spain works very good, three times a year.
More dense than almond oil but gives the wood a nice look.
Piper Iņaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #14
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbagpiper View Post
Oil choice can vary I use Sweet Almond Oil, 100% Pure and have used Hardie's black wood oil.
Being a woodworker, as well as a piper, I would caution taking any position that would not keep you from applying some oil to your pipes.
Much depends on the finish the pipe maker used on your pipes, so check with them first.
I would also suggest that you take note of where most cracks begin. I have only seen them start on the ends of the wood. Wood dead or alive takes in water mostly by way of the ends of the grain. It is drawn up by Capillary action. This is an area I notice to be very dry on most pipes. Suggest that the ends be waxed or oiled regularly if you play in damp climates or find your self playing in the rain. We have all been there. A few years back I found myself in a mass bands when a very heavy blinding down pour opened up on us. I learned of 5 pipers having pipes split that day. I suspect swelling of hemped joints added to that issue. Carry cork grease available from most music stores or in an emergency use chap lip balm and coat your hemp joints with it.Teflon tape only works here if the hemp is completely covered over the edges etc so that moister does not wick in.
Cheers
I've been using lip balm in lieu of cork grease for years.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:37 AM   #15
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

I use bore oil, maybe 2-3 times a year, depending on whether I'm playing the pipes regularly or not. I apply it with a swab, and then rub the swab on the outside of the drones, stocks, blowstick (not the chanter itself) to oil them a bit.

I once oiled my chanters a long time ago. I haven't done that since. A guy from South Australia here said oiling chanters is unnecessary (S.A. is a very dry climate) and may alter their characteristics. I've also read conflicting reports of oiling chanters, so I don't do that.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #16
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Oiling, consider the question of how often as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper Q

And what degree of frequency do you oil your pipes based upon the variables of usage and level of humidity?

Greetings to All,

Hmmm... As we seem to have this Thread now back up
and running... I shall jump back in for two aspects of it...
the first of which is the above Quote...

I travel (and have traveled) a bit... much of North America...
both far north... and far south...East Coast... West Coast...
and all in between... and in all Seasons... and Europe... and
the Caribbean... Central America... and Polynesia... and so
my main... and preferred travel pipes (1916 Lawries)... have
seen and been subjected to... quite an aggregation of disparate
climes and conditions... but... and even so... usually... The Doctor's
Bore Oil... is used in the Fall... but if it has been a particularly busy
and "outside playing" Winter... then again at the beginnings of that
long-awaited Spring... :)

So... once... and never more than twice... in any given year...
(If ever I fall in the water with them... then there may be a third. :)

For chanters... hmmm... once in the Long Ago... it seemed but
logical to me that a wooden chanter should also be oiled... and
having an extra... I applied a very light amount to it... but... that
seemed to my ear... to have changed its sound a (small) bit... and
the Old Gentlemen in my first band then said... "Oh! No! You don't
want to do that!"... and so I never have again... (That chanter came
back "true" about a year and a half later... and for which I was very
grateful. :)

And with our (now not so new) polypenco-Delrin-plastic-synthie
chanters...with which you can damn near drive nails... you can
wash the mud out of them... in any way you choose... :)

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 03-14-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #17
moderntraditional
Forum Regular

From a master woodworker:

http://www.dmatherton.com/education.php

-J David Hester, PhD
Alt Pibroch Club
www.altpibroch.com
moderntraditional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #18
TheHaggisMaster
Forum Silver Medal

I oil. Full submersion for at least six weeks after Remembrance Day. Lemon oil. That's all I'll get into with that. Way too big a conversation...

One thing I have noticed though with many of my pipes is that being originally a 'wet' instrument, how many people have seen changes that in some way effect maintenance or has changed playing and tone since the advent of air drying systems?

I've noticed that mounts are usually loose, more hemp is needed, tone may be a bit sharper? All of this is of course because the wood shrinks when dry etc etc. but does anybody worry about cracking or fragility. I liken it to finding a set that's been sitting for ages and even though they're no played dry, may still be in a tender state.

Exactly why I do the extreme oiling regime.

HM
Old 03-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #19
Graineag
Forum Member

Thanks for posting the information from David Atherton. It still never fails to astonish me how prone pipers can be to thinking that bagpipes are somehow different from other woodwind instruments.

The one thing I would add is that before oiling your pipes, it's a good idea to give them a couple of days off and make sure that the bores are free from any condensation. Oiling not long after playing can trap moisture in the wood and increase the chance of cracking. I also leave them for a day after oiling before easing back into playing. I might take a few days to ramp back up to my normal practice routine so as to avoid a shock to the system (both the pipes and me).
Graineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #20
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderntraditional View Post
From a master woodworker:

http://www.dmatherton.com/education.php

-J David Hester, PhD
Alt Pibroch Club
www.altpibroch.com
Its a phenomenal canon meant to be read several times over a period of a few days. Then again a month and three later. Each time more of it will stick.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote