Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-03-2019, 01:35 AM   #11
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Forum activity levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
I'm on FB to keep track of the social activities of my family & friends and occasionally chime in on one of their posts.

I come to online fora like BDF for subject-specific information I'm not likely to find elsewhere, or at least not as much quality information as I might find here.

Perhaps one reason that the posts have grown fewer is that there is a preponderance of subjects that have already been covered and all the curious need do is search the forum for the subject in question. Some questions have been hashed, re-hashed and hashed again.

I've done some Google searches on occasion and found some of the OLD posts from this forum turn up in the results.
Some good points above. True, there is a lot of rehashing of topics. New members are understandably going to ask what is new or about that which is unknown, to them. And experienced pipers may find this uninteresting the 5th or 50th time around. No faults there--just seasons.

Internet technology use patterns will always be fickle. Still new. I never even saw a home computer before age 30. No hard drive, and no Net. My wrist watch does better than that.

This is a nice, well-organized place with a great moderating staff. It would be unfair to comment by criticizing when there really isn't any serious criticism to give. Change is constant, preferences change. Technology advances. Civilization declines. In this life, nothing is forever. Preservation is a tricky game. It appears--and I could be wrong--that even some the moderators typically post less these days.

One day at a time. Enjoy what we wish to enjoy. Ignore what is of no interest.

I go elsewhere for my main piping interest of structure and expression of traditional pipe music, modern composition, harmony and countermelody. Composition needs serious, directed and experienced criticism. With no ad hominem repartee, or too much humour inserted inappropriately in the middle of a serious conversation. Sometimes totally open conversations go awry before fruition. These mentions are not directed at this forum as criticisms, so much as to say that not all types of musical piping conversations work best in a structure of large open membership. But perhaps this forum is still very much a boon to those new to piping.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-03-2019, 05:09 AM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
Perhaps one reason that the posts have grown fewer is that there is a preponderance of subjects that have already been covered and all the curious need do is search the forum for the subject in question.
I'm a member of several internet chat-rooms dedicated to various subjects and what you describe is a feature of all of them. There will always be newbies asking things that are asked by newbies regularly, and oldtimers who have seen the same questions hundreds of times.

Where these various chat-rooms vary is how the oldtimers handle it.

Some forums- the good ones- have patient, kindly oldtimers who hear out the newbies, ask questions to clarify just what the newbie is asking, and give helpful advice and mentorship. These wise oldtimers know that a forum's vitality and future depends on new membership.

Some forums- the bad ones- have snarky, elitist oldtimers. These forums tend to fall into various categories of unhelpfulness:

1) Forums whose oldtimers roll their eyes "oh, this question again?"

2) Forums whose oldtimers give a terse "use the Search function!"

3) Forums whose oldtimers insult and belittle the newbies.

These forums, not unexpectedly, tend to chase newbies away.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #13
colinmaclellan
Forum Gold Medal

I check into the Forums almost daily. I enjoy doing that, because once in a blue moon there is something here and you end up saying to yourself - "I learned something there".

What chases people away is the many people here who set themselves up as experts and dispense all kinds of dubious advice to the unsuspecting, when in fact they are little better than beginners themselves.

I may regret saying that.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmaclellan View Post

I check into the Forums almost daily. I enjoy doing that, because once in a blue moon there is something here and you end up saying to yourself - "I learned something there”

👍....I never regret it ...😁
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #15
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
What chases people away is the many people here who set themselves up as experts and dispense all kinds of dubious advice to the unsuspecting, when in fact they are little better than beginners themselves.

Ach, I don't think that's any different to what happens in real life. You'll well know there are multiple bands within a few miles of you that are dispensing terrible advice to each other, and if anything the alternatives are worse; I'm a member of one Facebook group that is truly the blind leading the blind. At least this forum has the critical mass that the stupidest suggestions get shot down in flames.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
I agree with you
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #17
Andrew Lenz

Colin, one serious regret I have here is when some idiot tried to tell you that you were wrong when you were right. I read what he wrote and was thinking, “No, no, no! Do you have any clue who you are taking to?” But the damage was done.

It’s like arguing with Michael Phelps and telling him he doesn’t know anything about swimming...

I am pleased to hear you still check in regularly. I would love to see you contribute your gold medal expertise more—especially since you are one of the true down-to-earth warm gentlemen in piping.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #18
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Since my having stumbled into and on to this quite
lovely Forum... I have been quite happily ensconced
here... seeing much... and "hearing" much... and learning
much... :)

Well-conceived... well-constructed... well-maintained... it
is an invaluable resource... and available... to all... :)

True enough!... the numbers... Members... participants...
over Time... will wax... and wane... but is this not ever so...
and with all??

We are all exceptionally fortunate... to have this Forum...
and I feel well assured... of both its continuance... and its
importance.

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 12-03-2019 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Please refrain from adding a bunch of blank lines before and after your actual post. Thanks.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #19
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think forum rule #1 dissuades a fair few competent pipers who would otherwise participate from doing so, not wanting to compromise their piping business interests.

Which is fine. It’s a good rule when it’s followed.

Regarding know-it-alls, how are they to be detected by the noobs? With only the number of posts and join date as metrics to guide the noob as to the fellow pseudonym’s relative expertise...
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #20
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

One of my pipe students is 16 years old and has looked here, but says he prefers Reddit bagpipe topics/discussions.
As of late, I've barely had time for here, farcebook or to check out reddit forums.