Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
PiperGirl00
Forum Regular

Default New Hybrid Bag - Moisture Control - Help!

Hi All,
I just changed over from a Gannaway bag (no zip, water trap stock), which I loved but this was my only experience (4+years) and my teacher thought it was close to possible breach. With a suggestion from teacher, I ordered a hybrid bag (Bannatyne, zip on bottom).

I'm having a bugger of a time adjusting. I haven't had strike-in or cutoff issues for many moons, but now I can't cut-off to save my life (without throwing my arm off the bag in an exaggerated effort and exact timing). I can strike in OK, not perfect...getting there.

By biggest issue is the amount of moisture entering the drones and chanter reed. I have never encounter this deluge of water! I mean really lots of water - top to bottom of drones, Yikes -

I borrowed some Shepherd drone enhancers and my cutoffs are super easy now (down side is drones are quiter/but ok-I'll deal); What I was also hoping for was help with moisture control, but they haven't helped (maybe a smidge)....I play for 40/60 minutes and the reed creeps up in pitch sequentially and is soaked by the end. Even if I take breaks and dump water,

I just ordered Ross canister moisture control system...will this work? Will the cutoffs be similar to the tone enhancers or a different battle??? This much moisture will surely shut my reeds off and muck with my chanter reed, especially if the temperature drops (and it will!). I know in comp. it will be a very short warm up and then playing but being so unfamiliar it's making me super nervous.

I should have just ordered another Gannaway but alas, I've invested $$$, time, and want to make it work before competition in 2 weeks! Ugh!

Help! Any suggestions appreciated!
PiperGirl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: New Hybrid Bag - Moisture Control - Help!

Adjusting to a new setup can take some time, so I wouldn't be overly concerned initially. There are a couple of things that I would point out:

1. The stiffness of Gannaway bags means that clean strike-ins and cut-offs are far easier IMO. You should be able to work towards that with a Bannatyne hybrid without having to resort to valves or "enhancers." Initially just use them for band work, but maybe when practicing or playing solo, play without them.

2. Hybrid bags do breathe, but they do not have seasoning that otherwise reduces moisture. You may need to try a tube-trap on a spit tube, or even add a canister such as that available from Bannatyne or other manufacturers. What I liked about the Bannatyne canister in the hybrid bag was that the chanter reed got moist air, and if I use a bass cane reed, I could remove the drying agent that went to the bass so that only my synth tenors got the dried air.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Charlie
Old 09-03-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
PiperGirl00
Forum Regular

Thanks for the feedback!

It's only my first week so I will try your suggestions.

Note:
I have a tube trap that came with the bag but doesn't seem to help; I guess I am a wet blower?
PiperGirl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

In my experience, bag/moisture solutions can be as unique as the people using them. In other words: you might be on a journey of discovery, because what's worked for others may not work for you.

That being said...

Have you considered dropping all other moisture control, and just sticking with the old water trap stock? I tried some in-bag moisture control a few years ago, but found it cumbersome and inconvenient. I soon went back to a Moose Valve blow-pipe-water trap. I also have drone enhancers in, but that's more to catch reeds, should they fall, since I've no zipper on my bag.

That's a good system for me- but we're different folks in different places. I blow pretty dry, and live in a desert. Keep in mind that no response you get here will be, "wrong," but there may not be one that's perfectly right for you. Take-in the ideas, though, and I'm sure you'll find the right fit for yourself.

Best of luck!
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperGirl00 View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

It's only my first week so I will try your suggestions.

Note:
I have a tube trap that came with the bag but doesn't seem to help; I guess I am a wet blower?
If it's not too late I'd save your $ ( for a while) and cancel the Ross system. Install a simple clear vinyl 5/8" id tube trap ( make your own...$5..see pipehacker.com for concept and how to) to the rear of the bag ....supplemented with a trap- dri widget.( $35? Pipers Hut OH) .

The tube traps that come with almost any bag are not very useful imo. They hoard moisture in the bag ( in the bottle) and the soaked sham-wow is worthless after it gets went...and no timely convenient way to change it out on parade or elsewhere. The simple tube trap can be easily poured off....and removing the moisture build up from the bag entirely. And it adds no ungainly guts to inside the bag like a e.g. Ross system. ( these are ok and used/tolerated by experienced players )
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:12 AM   #6
gisahag
Forum Regular

After much experimentation I settled on the full Achiltibuie drying canisters in my Bannatyne hybrid, but with no gels in the chanter tube. I also took the valve out of the bass drone canister as it was unnecessary with a Canning carbon fibre bass. As long as the weather isn't too cold (i.e. anything except armistice parades) this kept my reeds dry longer than my lips would last. As with any drying system though you have to dry it out after each use, otherwise it's just another reservoir of moisture.
Not saying it's the best possible set-up, but it works for me.

Neil
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

I am a wet blower and use Bannatyne bags. I use a Moose valve and a Bannatyne bottle. The former allows me to tip out much of the moisture before it enters the bag, and I take out the bottle and swab the tube after every session. To accommodate the valve and the tube I attach the tube to the stock with a cup like the ones on the Ross cannister system.

The Ross system is the best moisture removal system I know, but the Moose + bottle is much lighter.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:45 AM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpipe View Post
I am a wet blower and use Bannatyne bags. I use a Moose valve and a Bannatyne bottle. The former allows me to tip out much of the moisture before it enters the bag, and I take out the bottle and swab the tube after every session. To accommodate the valve and the tube I attach the tube to the stock with a cup like the ones on the Ross cannister system.

The Ross system is the best moisture removal system I know, but the Moose + bottle is much lighter.
The Moose is a great 110% valve imo....its only downside is the inability to pour off from within the bag. Considering its 'height' and sidewall clearance when in place ...there is unfortunately scant area to store moisture and act as a worthwhile collector.....and when angled as in holding pipes up to play....moisture residue is ' over the 'lip' and thus blown into the bag or Bottle.
I think Alan Forbes...the Trap-Dri mavin has come up with a combo Trap-Dri cum Moosevalve set up allowing one to use solely a tube trap and totally dispense moisture from the bag.
I've been using the original sole Trap-Dri widget for about 4 years now.....soooper!! In my new Canmore zipped hybrid bag ( itself a moisture control wonder) I'm almost having to add an ice cube or two to the bag to get some chanter reed moisture.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:15 AM   #9
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

See if someone is willing to buy the Bannatyne from you and put that money towards a new Gannaway. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You found something that works for you, so stick with it. Unless you have to use the Bannatyne for band reasons, go with what works.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #10
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

I suggest the Bannatyne Dri-Flo tubes - I'm a really wet blower and I've never had reed moisture issues since installing it. Doesn't reduce the drone volume as much as some other systems, either.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote