Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #11
johnsog
Forum Regular

Default Re: Old Dogs... New Tricks?

Some of our passions last a life time and others have their end point. It's sad to see but it's heartening to know you do have another wonderful musical outlet. Blessings to you!!
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-31-2018, 09:52 PM   #12
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ah... Tim... and All,

Piping... is piping... be it small... or elbow... or reel... :)

Just let the music come... and from what ever source...
may best fit... your hand... and Time...

Regards to All,

Pip01

Old 06-01-2018, 11:38 AM   #13
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Am still with a band and 2 choirs. Have got my pipes quite efficient and blow a fairly easy reed. Just did a 2 mile parade.
Will stay with all 3 until taken aside for the wee chat.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:18 AM   #14
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post

-Substitute gracenotes for grips, doublings, and toarluath

-Bagpipe Setup...effficient air
I feel these two are important concepts not only for elderly players but also for many "adult beginners" who start the pipes in middle age.

I was amazed when I heard a Fire Department band, made up entirely of people who didn't start playing until adulthood if not middle age, make a hash of all the complex movements in their tunes.

I looked at their music- it was chock-full of complex ornaments that none of the pipers could play cleanly.

Now what is the purpose of ornaments? Aren't they supposed to make the tune sound better? When nobody in the band can play them, and they're just a mush of noise, why leave them in the music?

I would have gone through all their music and cleaned up all their tunes by creating versions that they can actually perform.

About air-efficiency yes, we Old Dogs might not have the fingers we once had but we do know how to set up pipes to sound good with minimum air. So many players are working harder than they need to.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hi all,

I think the single most important thing I figured out for myself was how to make a new chanter reed the strength I needed it to be for continued play. Now a days I have no limit but I still play a really easy pipe!

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:19 PM   #16
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bolt View Post
Hi all,

I think the single most important thing I figured out for myself was how to make a new chanter reed the strength I needed it to be for continued play. Now a days I have no limit but I still play a really easy pipe!

Another old dog here. I play easy reeds because I can. ( nobody to tell me not to) I often play sets of an hour or more, but usually 20 minutes to a half-hour. Easy reeds also allow for those notes not in the usual 9, such as high G#, High B, etc. I also exercise almost every day- swim a mile or walk 3 or 4 miles- it all works together.

If the time comes that I can't play the big pipes, I'll still have Lowland pipes and SSP to play, but I'm not ready to step away from the weddings, graduations, funerals, parties, civic and corporate events i get hired to play just yet.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:46 AM   #17
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Easy reeds also allow for those notes not in the usual 9 such as high G#
Back in the late 1970s when our band was playing wood Hardies with moulded reeds (were ridge-cut reeds around yet?) the G# fingering that worked was

o|xxo|xxxo

(finger E and lift the thumb) or some variant of that, in other words using a fingering that flattened High A down to G#.

As I recall

o|xxo|xxox

was a tad better.

But those fingerings don't usually work well with the modern competition setup of 480+ chanters and ridge-cut reeds.

What does work is

x|oxx|xoox

(play C and lift the G gracenote finger).
Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #18
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post
e) Old is Sexy: Playing Ravel's Bolero on the GHB

At the moment my wife is practicing Bolero (on violin) for her next concert. You think it's repetitive? You ought to hear someone practice it....
Old 02-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #19
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Back in the late 1970s when our band was playing wood Hardies with moulded reeds (were ridge-cut reeds around yet?) the G# fingering that worked was

o|xxo|xxxo

(finger E and lift the thumb) or some variant of that, in other words using a fingering that flattened High A down to G#.

snip Probably chanter and reed-dependent, but on my 1979 McLeod of Forfar chanter, the first one works fine, tuned at or just a few hz above A=Concert B flat
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
As I recall

o|xxo|xxox

was a tad better.

But those fingerings don't usually work well with the modern competition setup of 480+ chanters and ridge-cut reeds.

What does work is

x|oxx|xoox

(play C and lift the G gracenote finger).

I'm grateful I don't have to play at 480hz+
Old 02-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #20
Ron Teague
Holy smoking keyboard!

Well, folks are starting to call me El Geezar, humpf. I am not playing as much these days, why not? I am just too flipping busy. I thought that when one became a septuagenarian one was supposed to have more time, ha! I haven't retired and don't plan to. I am just back from several weeks working in Hong Kong and am due to go to Malta and Rome in the fall for more work. I've got papers and a book due to the editors in March. It just keeps piling up. I am working about 50 hours a week during the year. So no time for piping as yet. Oh I keep a P/C in the car to keep the fingers supple and use an electronic chanter for breaks at work, but the full pipes, nope. When it is time for the pipes it is either too hot or too cold or some other lame excuse. I'll get there soon I hope.

The Cheesy Piobaireachd Player
Ron Teague is offline   Reply With Quote