Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-13-2019, 05:44 AM   #11
thevoidboy
Forum Member

Default Teachers and diaphragm vibrato

Hmm. I think they mean fingering the overtones.

Play an E.
Lift the middle finger of your lower hand up and down. Hear it?

Although I have heard Allan MacDonald intentional produce vibrato with the bag....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #12
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Teachers and diaphragm vibrato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piping Potential View Post
Can someone explain how vibrato is produced on the bagpipe? I know it can't be from the breath.
Pick a finger 2 or 3 holes further down the chanter than the highest open hole (the note you are playing) then raise and lower that finger to open and close the hole. It works better on some notes than others and the effect is greater the closer the hole is to the note hole.

I hope this helps,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #13
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piping Potential View Post
Can someone explain how vibrato is produced on the bagpipe? I know it can't be from the breath.

In wind instruments in general, there are several ways of doing it. Diaphragm, embouchure, finger, or simple shaking the instrument.

The vibrato I'm talking about is specifically a practice chanter thing. Donald MacLeod also does it on his piobaireachd tapes, and I've seen quite a few others do it as well.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:28 AM   #14
Neil Clark
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Don't post much guys, but seeing as it's me in the vid..

It's not a voluntary thing, but I make no apology for it. It's partly through the circular breathing, and also partly because I play whistle, where the effect is used deliberately. I've also used the PC as a performance instrument, in A, and deliberately used vibrato there.

I suppose it would have to be a decent pc for it to work, well reeded and maintained.

I don't do it on pipes. I think!
Neil Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #15
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Here's a little video I did a while back demonstrating four different ways of doing vibrato on whistle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK9RmMnDuPA

All would work on practice chanter or any other mouthblown thing.

On uilleann pipes you do the two sorts of finger vibrato I show, plus a variant where you raise & replace the chanter on your leg, either totally shutting the bottom of the chanter, or merely "shading" the bottom of the chanter.

Vibrato is an extremely common thing in uilleann piping, especially with the note called "back D".