Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #31
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Default Re: Modern Brakes on Tempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Piper View Post
In addition to the video Pancelticpiper/Richard posted earlier in the thread, here is a more recent vid of a pipe band moving troops. Upbeat (110ish) crackin' 6/8s! Very clean too

https://youtu.be/ZRVS4XxSn9Q

-Matthew
Imo there is nothing technicaly difficult in playing a 6/8 at that tempo...... The issue I think most people have beef with is how competitors are playing 2/4s, strathspeys and reels.

I don't give 2 hoots about playing for 'military' or marching troops across a desert, I want to make good music, subjective as that is.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-14-2018, 10:23 PM   #32
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

I keep remembering what my teacher and PM Angus Ironside used to always tell us: "Make it sing!"

Every time I play, whether practicing, or for others, that mantra keeps ringing in my ears.

He was trying to get the band to slow down (beginner and intermediate pipers can have a tendency to speed through stuff, for various reasons), and let the tunes sing (and, of course, give our Grade 3 fingers a chance to hit the notes and embellishments more cleanly). But then, he was an excellent player, and he played the tunes the same way, a bit more pointed in places, making the tunes sing. It did not get lost on most of us.

There is something to be said for fast playing of certain marches and other ceol beag music. But I myself would rather hear the pointing of the notes and clean fingering. We're playing tunes, after all, and some of them were based on folk tunes that weren't necessarily slammed through at lightning pace.

I play slower for various reasons. I don't compete, so that is not a factor. Some of it is my admittedly limited ability. But I also want to hear and feel the notes. When I play for others, they want to hear the tune also.

It can always be sped up later on, once you have it down, and you're not so concerned about a miffed embellishment here and there.

As for the original post, I wasn't so aware that in competition the BPM of tunes has slowed down. And that last video is pretty cool. But that dude is really hitting the bass drum. It resonates off the walls. When I was in a band, the bass was apparently not supposed to be heard outside the circle. Different style and purpose?
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:02 AM   #33
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

The 5 Scots video was superb...nothing short of magnificent....I'll take that sort of playing over a top competition band all day long.