Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #21
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Drone instability, poor blowing or moisture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
+1

I think the culprit of the excess moisture has been identified.
Same experience. Owned several of the black/dark blue hybrid Bannatynes and they were absolutely tropical inside, kept a lot of moisture in. Canmore has been amazing by comparison. Gannaways I owned were also excellent. I'm sure there are others.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #22
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Or, get a (plain) Gannaway or sheepskin and you won't need moisture control, probably.

Begg has some sheepskin bags now for 112 pounds, and the pound is low now.

One day, absolutely, it’ll force me to play a lot too I bet.

Seems quite heavy though ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
Same experience. Owned several of the black/dark blue hybrid Bannatynes and they were absolutely tropical inside, kept a lot of moisture in. Canmore has been amazing by comparison. Gannaways I owned were also excellent. I'm sure there are others.
I’ve heard good thing about those Canmore hybrid bags, that they are pretty breathe-able, along with the Ross suede bags.

Edit: My bag is the Bannatyne Hybrid after all, not a synthetic.

Last edited by WBpiper; 03-25-2020 at 02:55 PM.
WBpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:47 AM   #23
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

Looks like everyone has it covered, only thing I could add is when re-hemping the drones use extra beeswax / tar / sticky stuff of your choice.

I noticed a difference when I re-hemped the ends of my drone reeds. They stuck in the drone more securely, but also seemed to stabilize some of the unsteadiness. Probably was a tiny bit of air leaking through.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #24
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Are your reed seats threaded? My Dunbars came with them threaded. I play on Kinnaird Evos too (regular strength) and donít have those issues, though Iím playing on sheepskin so moisture issues arenít the same. If theyíre threaded, make sure thereís enough waxed hemp on them to get a good seal as you screw them into the seats.

I did originally play on a black Bannatyne hybrid, but it was miserable for several reasons that I wonít go into here.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #25
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Okay, an update I guess heh.

I played a bit with the moisture control in, the blowing felt a bit more restrictive, but it didn’t look like my problems were going away.

I began to turn my focus to the chanter, the notes were going wonky again, I did moisten it with my breath, too.

I did some taping up and tried to re-tune the drones, that’s when I found out my whole chanter was unstable! Even the bottom hand was very sensitive to my blowing and moisture.

I eventually decided to take out the Shepherd reed out, and put a different reed in (An easy Husk reed), and voilŠ, I think Patrick was right about the chanter reeds, I think the one I was using was sensitive to my blowing.

The reed I put in is a hair stronger than the one I currently used, and a bit stronger than I am used to, but the drones held together perfectly.

Not that I have a problem with Shepherd reeds! But I guess I just needed a reed that is JUST a bit stronger as they are more forgiving with pressure. (And moisture control of course )
Old 03-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #26
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes, although it's possible for an easy reed to be stable it's much harder to achieve and needs more skill to manage - the main reason most bands play relatively stiff reeds.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #27
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
Are your reed seats threaded? My Dunbars came with them threaded. I play on Kinnaird Evos too (regular strength) and donít have those issues, though Iím playing on sheepskin so moisture issues arenít the same. If theyíre threaded, make sure thereís enough waxed hemp on them to get a good seal as you screw them into the seats.
You beat me to the question, Jim. I have a set of straight reamers and have threaded a number of band members' reed seats (that aren't already threaded). Some cringe at the thought, but it just takes a couple small twists, removing very little material, and giving just a couple threads. It's so much nicer than having to wrap on a 'safety tail' and/or worrying about reeds dropping out.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #28
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

It doesn’t appear that my reed seats are threaded.

However I put some extra hemp on and used some cobbler’s wax, they seem to be nice and snug now.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:41 AM   #29
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
My only experience is with their older black hybrid and those were the worst for holding onto moisture. Pipers in the band with those bags were a pita to keep in tune even in Lubbock. Chanters always going flat, especially the bottom hand (e.g. low A). I would look at some heavy moisture control cause 30-40 min isn’t that long.
I just noticed this. I have a synthetic Bannatyne on a spare set of pipes. It's not bad with moisture, I just use the supplied tube and bottle. Nice full sound, good strike ins, comfortable, absolutely airtight, just a bit thin. I put on a new Bannatyne Hybrid on my main pipes however, and now the bag gets wet inside and the reeds get wet after only 10 minutes of playing. 20-30 minutes and drops of water are running down the inside of the pipes. I didn't have that problem with the synthetic or a hide bag. I'm pretty sore about it. I had decided against another sheep bag because sometimes I don't get to play for a few days at a time, and wanted something that would always be airtight and not need seasoning. I'd rather not use some complicated kitty litter system either. Aggravating. I suppose I should get a cow bag and use a split stock, and just play more.

Sounds like the OP had a blown-out reed, glad it got solved.

Last edited by DapperDan; 03-28-2020 at 05:45 AM.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:31 AM   #30
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post

the bag gets wet inside and the reeds get wet after only 10 minutes of playing. 20-30 minutes and drops of water are running down the inside of the pipes. I didn't have that problem with the synthetic or a hide bag. .

There have been a number of post threads here in huge support of the Canmore Hybrid for moisture management. I’d ditto every one.
I use a pour-off vinyl tube with a Trap-Dri.
1 set of McCallum poly pipes and one one set of FS Hardie abw...White Mamba and EZ drone reeds.
Seems no mater the environment or temps or play duration the bag interior is always peacefully dry. I’ve only on rare occasion noted a very slight mist at the rear of the bag....naturally in the proximity of the vinyl tube outlet holes.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote