Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
sirjackalope
Forum Regular

Default Canning Carbon bass/EZ Tenors

Has anyone tried this combo? I like the EZ tenors but the bass is a bit blah?

Thanks.
sirjackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Canning Carbon bass/EZ Tenors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjackalope View Post

Thanks.
I have....that is I have the reverse tongue polycarbonate reed.

“.. at least half the Shotts pipe corp play the inverted polycarbonate” according to its maker when I got it. Good enuf rationale for me to get one.

I would not say ‘blah’ at all in my old Hardie pipes.

Admittedly I tried it on a bit of a whim...was not displeased in the least...but creature of habit ...I shortly returned to a different bass reed I had set up just so ...so in a certain set of tunes I can cleanly shut down 3 drones in 1,2,3 order ( bass is last) with slight over pressuring... to play an Air....then cleanly pop all 3 drones back on in an instant to seamlessly break into some hornpipes.
No fault / no foul the Canning polycarbonate reed has been resting in its box since ..played less than an hour. I believe it’s still listed FS on the TP.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjackalope View Post

Thanks.
I've played both styles of Canning bass and they are good, but it just depends on the sound you are after. Depends on the pipes, depends on the setup, depends on the piper, etc, etc?

I'm on either Kinnaird or Xtreme bass reeds these days. Kinnaird in my pipes have a bit more 'punch' if that's what you are after.

ymmv,
Matt
Old 08-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Weasner View Post
I've played both styles of Canning bass and they are good, but it just depends on the sound you are after. Depends on the pipes, depends on the setup, depends on the piper, etc, etc?

I'm on either Kinnaird or Xtreme bass reeds these days. Kinnaird in my pipes have a bit more 'punch' if that's what you are after.

ymmv,
Matt

I used to play Cannings to good effect. They're a solid choice. I tried the carbon fiber bass out again earlier this year when I was getting going for solos and found the sound rougher than I was looking for, but that's just personal preference. Right now I'm on the X-Treme bass train too - best match I've found for my setups.
Mainebagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:26 AM   #5
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebagpipes View Post
I used to play Cannings to good effect. They're a solid choice. I tried the carbon fiber bass out again earlier this year when I was getting going for solos and found the sound rougher than I was looking for, but that's just personal preference. Right now I'm on the X-Treme bass train too - best match I've found for my setups.
Me too, Xtreme bass and ezee tenors
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #6
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Yes. I played exactly this setup (Canning carbon-fibre-tongued bass, ezeedrone tenors) in my Henderson for several years. It worked very well for me.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

I used this setup in my Lawries for a while, but never really found it satisfactory. It was simply not airtight enough, and the Canning carbon bass was subject to significant calibration drift. There was a lot of practice time - too much - being wasted trying to reign that wee beastie of a bass reed in. It also seemed to be a very leaky reed as well, which is my main gripe with Canning reeds in general.

Because I believe this is paramount to any discussion of reeding, I'll state here one may tolerate a slight leak from either the bass or the tenor drone reeds. By "slight", I mean only audible by overblowing the reeds to shut them off and then putting your ear to the bushing. If the reed is calibrated, and you don't have to put your ear to the bushing to hear the leak, bin the reed - no questions asked. If all three reeds leak (slightly or otherwise), you're wasting a whole lot of effort just to keep sound coming out of your instrument.

If the Ezee tenors are going to be the anchor of your reeding solution (and I would agree that they're admirably reliable), I would highly, highly recommend a Balance Tone bass, High Resonance if you can spare the ten or so extra dollars. Balance Tone are aggressively airtight reeds, and the bass puts out a positively huge, vibrant sound - no trouble hearing it distinctly enough to tune easily. I run Selbie tenors with the Balance Tone bass, and my instructor (who plays in the 78th Frasers) plays Ezee tenors with a Balance Tone bass. We both get admirable results, and have no complaints.
MichiganGaidar is offline   Reply With Quote