Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
erracht
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Can a left-shoulder Gaita Gallega be played under the right shoulder?

I may have the opportunity to purchase a one-droned Galician Gaita for a very reasonable price. The one thing that is stopping me is that I am a left-handed piper and play with the bag under the right shoulder. The said Gaita is, needless to say, tied in conventionally and the bottom hole is offset to the left, as is conventional in Gaitas. I was thinking of buying it anyway and trying it under the right shoulder with the chanter turned slightly to the right, but as I know, the gaita bag is somewhat different from the bag of Highland Pipes and I am not sure if the blowpipe could be pulled away from the direction in which it has been tied in and still be functional. Is there any sense in my buying a right-handed/left shoulder gaita or would this not work?

Would an option be to simply play it under the left shoulder with the right hand on top - Gaita chanters, as I know, have weaker reeds than Highland Pipe chanters, thus perhaps the same amount of forearm pressure on the front of the bag would not be needed?
Old 12-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Can a left-shoulder Gaita Gallega be played under the right shoulder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erracht View Post
I may have the opportunity to purchase a one-droned Galician Gaita for a very reasonable price. The one thing that is stopping me is that I am a left-handed piper and play with the bag under the right shoulder. The said Gaita is, needless to say, tied in conventionally and the bottom hole is offset to the left, as is conventional in Gaitas. I was thinking of buying it anyway and trying it under the right shoulder with the chanter turned slightly to the right, but as I know, the gaita bag is somewhat different from the bag of Highland Pipes and I am not sure if the blowpipe could be pulled away from the direction in which it has been tied in and still be functional. Is there any sense in my buying a right-handed/left shoulder gaita or would this not work?

Would an option be to simply play it under the left shoulder with the right hand on top - Gaita chanters, as I know, have weaker reeds than Highland Pipe chanters, thus perhaps the same amount of forearm pressure on the front of the bag would not be needed?
Only in a mirror..........

el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Can a left-shoulder Gaita Gallega be played under the right shoulder?

Worst comes to the worst, you could rig a length of flexible hose to the blowpipe stock and use that as your blowpipe.

I think doing a Donald MacLean wouldn't give you any issues. Blowing certainly isn't an issue with the gaita! And everything is a bit closer anyway.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Personally I would set up the pipes left-handed, and get a left-handed chanter.

I have seen old chanters with two bottom holes drilled, one offset for a righthanded player, one offset for a lefthanded player, the hole not being used filled with tuning wax.

If you or somebody you know could do a good job of it you can drill the extra hole, and fill the other with tuning wax. That way the chanter isn't ruined for a righthanded player, can be played either way.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
erracht
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thank you everyone for your feedback. In the end I decided that I had better not rush into acquiring a gaita, tempting though the cheap price was. I will take a pass on this one and perhaps get one made for a left-hander at some future time.