Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Pipe Bands
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pipe Bands For everything or anything related to Pipe Bands..

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
NCSteve
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Drummers - buy, deposit, or provide?

Pipers buy their own instruments.
Do you have drummers purchase their own drums, do they have to put a deposit on them or do you provide drums for them?
NCSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Brian Morgan
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Drummers - buy, deposit, or provide?

almost all bands provide drums
Brian Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Margaret
Forum Clasp

Possibly a start up band initially has drummers with their own drums, but buys matched band drums as soon as possible (YMMV with street bands, but I believe even they have band owned drums).

Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.
Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:02 AM   #4
Andrew Adams
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've heard this come up before, usually in lower grade bands. The band has little money and wants to know why they have to buy drums for the drummers when most of the pipers buy their own pipes.

Well, pipers are making an investment by buying pipes. Most of them can go out and make money at weddings/funerals/etc. As a drummer, I've been hired for THREE paying gigs in my life. That's in 13 years. And as a bass drummer, I only know of ONE solo gig. (Yeah, that's right. A bass drummer I know was hired for a solo gig)

It just doesn't make sense to expect drummers to buy their own. (Though I understand a newly formed band asking if drummers would to help the band out.)

Andrew
Old 08-12-2009, 06:45 AM   #5
Pipercollins
Forum Regular

All true. In addition, many (most?) bands provide matched chanters, chanter reeds and bag covers for pipers. So there is band-owned equipment in both sections. The biggest driver being the need for matched sound from matched instruments. This goes for drums as well as for pipe chanters.

Paying for all that stuff is what parades are for. I do know some bands require a deposit to be held for any band gear given out. Ours isn't one of them.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
NCSteve

Yep...we're new. A public safety street band at that. We bought matching chanters and a few drums, but as we get more people interested and funds are tight, we're faced with people who show up, but we don't have enough drums for all... It's tough to buy extra drums you're not sure will be used. At least we can get three chanters for the price of a single snare.

Would you think it to be unreasonable to ask for a deposit that you could refund after some amount of time (6 months of performing or something) to ensure that you won't be purchasing drums for people who won't show? Might help purchase the drums, then hope the donations, etc. will come to make up for the deposits?

You mention parades...do parades usually pay for bands to perform or is it a regional thing? I was in parades in our high school pipe band in my youth, but was never aware of any kinds of payment.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
Goat Skin
Forum Gold Medal

Drummers provide their own equipment? Ok. I would need to purchase a new Premier HTS800, a new Pearl and Andante, so I could move on to different bands if I decided to move on. The average drum may last 10 years if handled well. I've got an HTS200 from 1989 that still plays well, but I really take good care of my drums. A good set of pipes lasts a lifetime and longer if they are well taken care of. Now we have to match all of our own drums into the band. So pipers need to purchase their own chanters and reeds as well? Doesn't sound like a band that will do very well in competition to me.

I've been in a number of bands and I have also contributed financially to those bands with dollars and equipment. It has always been accepted that the drum line must have matched equipment to stand a chance of sounding like a drum corps. If a band wants a drum corps, the band buys a reasonably matched set of percussion for the band. The drummers don't take the instruments with them when they leave. Have a percussionist, who is a musician take care of the drums and set them up to work with the band. Don't let people abuse their drums.

This is an old argument, usually started by a disgruntled piper who is new to bands and doesn't respect the drummers in the band. If you are that upset about the band buying drums, go back to solos. I know plenty of pipers who have very successful solo careers.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
rpeitzsch
Holy smoking keyboard!

And what colour shell would you need since not everyone goes with basic black....
Old 08-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
NCSteve

Goat Skin - Wow. Chill. Nobody is upset except perhaps you just by the mere fact that the question is being asked. Sounds like you've been insulted and that was not the intent.

First - as I said, this is a street band. We have no plan for competition.
Second - there are no disgrutled pipers, they are all fully gruntled, I assure you.
Third - it's a new band with limited funds, so... it's a new question for us as we look for ways to field a band (or is it "street a band" for a non-competition a.k.a. street band?) in the beginning.
Fourth - we fully intend to supply the drums as funding becomes available, but...see "third" above.

The last part of the question is to ask if it's unreasonable to ask for a deposit to help buy drums, which would be refunded when funding becomes available?

Up until now, we've all worn our own kilts (multi-tartan approach so a multi drum look wouldn't be out of the question for us right now) with those of us with more than one loaning kilts to newbies. We had enough funding after matching chanters, a couple of snares and a bass to buy kilts for those along since early on. We'll buy more as we progress, but this question is really just for the early phases of the band.

Everyone - thanks for the feedback...keep it coming if you don't mind, please.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
Paul Wood
Forum Silver Medal

In our band, all drummers are required to purchase and own a drum. Having at times up to 15 snare drummers, it is difficult for the band to provide all these drums monetarily. As a drummer, I agreed with this at the start of the band. I happily purchased my drum. I have just recently passed my 15 year old Premier HTS 200 down to my nephew who has recently started to play. The drum is in excellent shape and it still sounds excellent and is tunable etc.

Now as for the competition aspect, about 7 or 8 years ago, the band purchased a set of 8 Pearls for competition. These drums are used for competition only as well as our band dance and other high value band events. Our other drums, the Premiers are all maintained and match quite well for parades etc. Every drummer has a Premier 200 or 700 at this point in Royal Blue so that we do match in appearance as well.

I have played many jobs with a piper or two through the years to more than cover the expense of replacing my drum (which I now have to do). I played at a wedding this weekend and then the after party in the hotel bar. That job alone was $320 for me. If you aren't playing jobs as part of a duo or small group, perhaps you need to talk to some pipers and have them offer you up. St' Patrick's Day usually nets me $500.

Peace Through Victory
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote