Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
Bruce Wright
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Any EUSPBA MAP tune additions for 2010?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSupples View Post
I have a feeling that if EUSPBA were to do that, the Florida EUSPBA games would jump over to SUSPBA for the time being.
It would seem to me that the easiest way out of this dilemma would be to retain the 2009 rules for 2010 - that is, bands can play either a QMM set or a MAP set as appropriate for their grade.

One of the problems that I've heard mentioned was that apparently during the 2009 season there have been some cases where bands were disqualified for playing a MAP set. The reason for this should become immediately apparent when you look at the different requirements for these sets: For both Grade 4 and Grade 5, the MAP requirements were 3 2-parted tunes, which at 80bpm would mean about 2:30 minutes of music, even less if you played above 80bpm; but the requirements for the QMM were that the set needed to be between 2:45-4:30. Apparently the dual requirement had not been communicated well to the entire panel of judges and stewards, so extending the rule for another year would also extend the possibility for confusion. But it may be the best solution at this late date.

--Bruce
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
The Bruce
Forum Clasp

I would totally agree, at this late date, it would make the most sense to keep the rules the same as they were for the 2009 season, and if a decision is made to make some sort of change, then do it sometime soon for the 2011 season, giving bands adequate warning.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
Paul Wood
Forum Silver Medal

I would *assume* that we will find all this out after the AGM on November 14th...

Peace Through Victory
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
Bruce Wright
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wood View Post
I would *assume* that we will find all this out after the AGM on November 14th...
Hopefully sooner than that - up there, there aren't many competitions early in 2010, but in Florida and the deep South the first ones are in January. (Many of the Florida games are SUSPBA but a few are EUSPBA - go figure). If the changes are too radical and there's not enough notice and/or no grandfather clause, there are going to be a lot of very unhappy P/M's down here ..... I don't think most of them will think Nov 14th is early enough notice.

--Bruce
Old 10-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #15
MSupples
Forum Gold Medal

Roughly half of our games in central FL are EUSPBA, the first one is January 16th. Rumors that I've heard say more games are looking towards EUSPBA as opposed to SUSPBA for 2010 (I'm not certain of the actuality of that however).

Last edited by MSupples; 10-07-2009 at 07:56 PM.
MSupples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:15 AM   #16
The Bruce
Forum Clasp

I certainly hope we don't have to wait until after the AGM to get the necessary information! So Chris, as head of the Band Music Committee, we're waiting to hear something from you on this. At this late date, it would be in the bands' best interests to keep the 2010 rules in place for the new season, while the "powers that be" mull over what to do with the MAP and what the new requirements should be.
With bands already working on their new MAP requirements, and others with pen in hand writing new arrangements, and competitions starting as early as January, a timely official decree is necessary.
I realize this isn't the official EUSPBA forum for dispensing information, but please help us out here Chris.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #17
The Bruce
Forum Clasp

Forgot to mention that people have actually already paid to have drum scores written (or are in the midst) for their new MAP requirements, so wouldn't a quick decision on this be appropriate?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #18
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

I would suggest that a significant rule change should never go into effect for the "next" season, unless it's clear that there is overwhelming support for it. In other words, publish the rules this year that will impact the season after next.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #19
Rick C
Forum Silver Medal

Our band really did not care for the grade 4 map tunes as comp tunes but as they said it would be mandatory and now that we have worked on them for a year competing against bands who were NOT playing the map sets.....We will not be happy if they do not go through with their "mandatory in 2010" rule. They said it, they should do it for at least 2010 as they stated.
If EUSPBA had issues with the map situation they should have not have put it in the rules. To remove the map rule for 2010 after making such bold statements in the current rules would make our organization look as if they really have no direction and can not stand by their decisions.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 AM   #20
Eastcoaster
Forum Member

Copyright material removed at request of P & D

Last edited by Wulls; 10-10-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Eastcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote