Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Teacher's Lounge
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Teacher's Lounge Pedagogy - the art or profession of teaching

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-11-2015, 12:34 AM   #1
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Default Getting boys onto the pipes from chanter

Any advice on moving boys aged between 12 and 15 onto the pipes? Any comments on building strength and stamina? How do school bands do it?
Old 01-11-2015, 01:12 AM   #2
PHXpiper
Forum Member

Default Re: Getting boys onto the pipes from chanter

I'm still pretty new to piping, so take this with a grain of salt, but my instructor's method is to cork the chanter stock and have students blow drones as long as they can. When you have the endurance to go for ~30 minutes, you get to add the chanter.
PHXpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:28 AM   #3
donmacn
Forum Regular

just for what it might be worth.

My son seemed to struggle a little at just that stage. I took the view that it was both the strength of the chanter reed, and the mechanics of introducing a bag.

I happened to have a "practice pipe" or whatever it's called, from bagpipes galore in Edinburgh.

I put him to work on that for just a day or so. Because it's so much easier to blow, it took the "strength" thing out of the equation temporarily and allowed him to focus on keeping the bag rythm going. Once he had a better idea of that, he quite quickly moved onto the pipe with corked drones.

Basically, I was following the instructing principle of trying to introduce new challenges and skills progressively.

This happened just as he was starting to play with a school band, but one where the instructor had little time on practice night for one on one support. Most of the kids in the band were getting instruction from him in school through the week. Through a personality quirk in my son's school, he wasn't but I was able to help him through that.

I get the impression the usual thing is just a weak chanter reed, and corked/stopped drones.

the other thing I've observed from watching the school band is how often it appears that kids are physically struggling (or seem to be) with a pipe that looks uncomfortable - bag too big, blowpipe too long or whatever. When he got to the pipes I also got my son one of the telescopic/adjustable blowpipes, and a smaller bag. I don't like the look of those blowpipes myself personally, but they served a purpose for him, allowing him to stand and play in a more comfortable stance.

Just my personal experience fwiw.
Cheers
donmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:20 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
Any advice on moving boys aged between 12 and 15 onto the pipes? Any comments on building strength and stamina? How do school bands do it?
I use a fully reeded set up from the git go; cork (any) two drones initially; make certain they are correctly seated and efficient. Add another drone when 1 is 'mastered'.
Don't swallow the blowstick or 'chase' it to the left... keep head erect, keep looking straight ahead, mouthpiece centered.

Impress on each kid ...it's up to them to do this... it's what they said they wanted to do;...and you'll help/show them all the way ;
..but pay attention (...dammit!)
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
12cmgc
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
I use a fully reeded set up from the git go; cork (any) two drones initially
In my beginner phase, that's what my instructor/band did at the time.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12cmgc View Post
In my beginner phase, that's what my instructor/band did at the time.
sure...it (should) usually only take a few hours at most to get the the hang of it and have all three drones going and look quasi-like they enjoy playing.
Drone valves help newbies. It's all uphill progress from there,.. getting steadier blowing, etc.

Something I do try to impress on the kids is...ALWAYS...upon taking the pipe out of the case...BE CERTAIN to immediately set the tenors and bass approx. where they need to be so right off the bat they sound nearly like they should when they start to play. Not a bad time right off to start embedding fine tuning pointers.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

When I was teaching a school pipe band, I would get the kids going on pipes as quickly as possible.

They went with just chanter and blocked drones for a while; sometimes for the entire first year. I was more concerned with getting them playing tunes and keeping them interested in playing.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Update: The boys are playing four tunes on the pipes now, chanter only, no drones. (They also spend time every now and then on drones only for steadiness). Fingers have suddenly improved a whole lot, as well as stamina, and two boys can play three tunes on the trot on pipes with chanter only. Time to open up a drone.

The boy who was lagging behind has had a burst of improvement caused I think by excitement at learning the Glasgow City Police Pipers, and his stamina if anything has overtaken the two others.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:19 AM   #9
classicbagpipes
Holy smoking keyboard!

Jim F.,
I know the late Sandy Keith in Dunedin, FL. used the same basic technique of getting the new pipers onto the pipes asap, after they had learned a few tunes. And for the same reasons, develop them quickly and keep the interest level up with the newbies. So it was with corked drones and chanters so they could get a grasp of the basics.
I have always said that aside from getting ones fingers to wiggle properly and in the right order, the next biggest step is moving onto the full pipe itself.
classicbagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote