Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-20-2016, 11:10 PM   #1
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Default My new super easy tone reed

My three learners are playing very easy reeds. My old reed had to go and so I replaced it with an easy Shepherd. The obvious thing happened - I was way too flat. So I put an elastic bridle onto the reed and sank it a little more, an voila, it pitched up to where they were.

After a little while it became so easy that I was able to shout abuse at them between breaths. The old saying about playing through your nose comes to mind.

The point of the post is that the tone was good, not thin and reedy. The tone of the boys' reeds is also good, even though they are very easy.

Just wanted to throw it out there in the context of recent threads about harder reeds and tone.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:44 AM   #2
classicbagpipes
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: My new super easy tone reed

As a Highland dance piper, my ultimate reed is one that you can blow with your nose and is big as all outdoors.
When doing this for decades, it is no use to knock yourself out playing for dancers. But you still don't have to sound like a tin whistle either.
classicbagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicbagpipes View Post
As a Highland dance piper, my ultimate reed is one that you can blow with your nose and is big as all outdoors.
When doing this for decades, it is no use to knock yourself out playing for dancers. But you still don't have to sound like a tin whistle either.
Free & Vibrant. I will wager a guess that Classic Pipes is preferring one like that. A 'Tasty" reed, like the one Chef Ramsey describes. In the Meme..

If I cant "Cross the Minch" alt pt 5 with all the extra Birls, or rip out pt. 5 of "Clumsey Lover".. the Edre variation. and whatnot... If it chokes up on the "Minch test", or with similar tasty phrasing. The reed ist "Free" yet and is likely also too hard, and there is no point wasting a good session on a reed that isnt just so. Unless of course, the session is dedicated to getting a reed ready.

Another Pop Culture reference I use is from Harry Potter. "Chattering like a Horcrux". Wherein the ideal Free & Vibrant reed sort of makes its own chattering sound, that you can hear coming from the Stock. Kind of like Richard Parkes at Winter storm. Where the Vibrancy is the Aural equivalent of a live Tesla Coil.

Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
Lochaberaxe
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicbagpipes View Post
And you're damn' right John!
Lochaberaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Used the super easy tone reed on Friday and Saturday for Burns evenings. The chanter tuned to 473 on a Bb chanter, which compares well with the 472 from a gut-buster on the same chanter for the Basel Tattoo.

The tone was good, not thin, but full and vibrating freely. I played a fifteen minute set at the beginning, and then between courses, which included a Pibroch. I couldn't hear any deterioration in the tone as the evening progressed.

I have just installed a Bannatyne Hybrid bag, and it feels really good under the arm, hard and solid, very reassuring. The only issue is moisture control as even a smallish amount of moisture can result in the bass drone cutting out, even with a pipe and bottle moisture control set-up. I have included a trap-dri, but have still to find the optimum positioning for it on the tube. Friday evening the bass reed cut out during the very last set from moisture, but no issues Saturday.

The best part from a playing point of view is the total absence of effort. A short duration of blowing into the blowpipe between breaths means effortless playing for long periods of time. It enables one to concentrate on tone and execution.

My fifteen year old son played in public with me for the very first time, and he did very well. Not many have played the 79th's Farewell and the Glasgow City Police Pipers on their first outing.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
jd3214
Forum Silver Medal

I am confused by this post. Is this a "new" product or just someone touting the regular old Shepherd reed purchased in an "easy" strength?
jd3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Its about Easy, free & vibrant reeds in general. The Reed you buy is just a starter kit, making it brilliant is all on you, and your reedcraft skills.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:42 PM   #8
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Its is indeed about easy and vibrant reeds in general. My reed craft in this instance was putting a dental elastic over the blades to make it pitch up to my son's ultra easy beginners reed, and a drop of water to get it started well

A swift dip of the reed into a glass of water comes from a reed-making workshop some years ago, and it makes a big difference to the tone out of the starting block.

Last edited by Bish; 01-24-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:01 AM   #9
Lochaberaxe
Forum Regular

I have tried once during a "all about reeds you wanted to know" session the pipes (a fantastic S&I Lawrie) of a Scottish gentleman who is a real magician with reeds and his pib was so easy that you could "blow with your nose".

And the reed was steady and produced an excellent vibrant sound.

So no need to have a chanter reed like a trunk to obtain an excellent result!
Lochaberaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:08 AM   #10
Abbott
Forum Member

[QUOTE=Bish;1295290]My three learners are playing very easy reeds. ]

What reeds are they using ?
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote