Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #21
GordonLawrie
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: The Battle of the Somme

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dally View Post
Great photo, John. The title was given to that tune after Lawrie died. After I read several histories of the Battle of the Somme it is difficult to play it as anything other than a lament. What a terrible waste of life.
I agree with the sentiment - but for interpretation of the tune it's worth remembering that the army pays for pipers to *raise* morale during battles.
GordonLawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #22
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonLawrie View Post

the army pays for piper to *raise* morale during battles.
I wonder is there a official MOD or other ' mission statement' regarding pipers/ pipes. I've read they get an extra tuppence incentive...(do other/ all military musicians) ..anymore?...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #23
phinson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
I agree with the sentiment - but for interpretation of the tune it's worth remembering that the army pays for pipers to *raise* morale during battles.
A friend of mine, now deceased, whose uncle served on the Somme with the 7th Black Watch, looked at the tune as saying "We can take what ever you throw at us."

Paul Hinson
phinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #24
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Actually - I've just a quick flick through Bewsher's "History of the 51st Highland Brigade" and the 8th bn was indeed part of the orbat for the Beaumont Hamel assault.
Thanks for the correction Gordon.

IIRC, Beaumont Hamel wasn't actually taken until November, when the 51st was chosen to lead the assault. The Newfoundlanders lost over 90% of their men trying to take it on July 1st. General Rawlinson insisted they advance even after the first wave disappeared under German machine gun fire and HQ ordered a stop to the attack.
The courage of the British and Commonwealth soldiers on that day is incredible and awe-inspiring. The arrogance and stupidity of the Rawlinson and other British Generals is breathtaking.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #25
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Actually - I've just a quick flick through Bewsher's "History of the 51st Highland Brigade" and the 8th bn was indeed part of the orbat for the Beaumont Hamel assault.
On http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/somme/beaumont.html it tells us that

"On the 13th of November, the 8th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders were part of 152nd Brigade in the 51st (Highland) Division, and they attacked from a position slightly in advance of that of the 1st of July, along with the 5/Seaforths, with the 6/Seaforths in support and 6/Gordons in reserve."
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:03 AM   #26
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

I saw in the news that Kate was at the memorial ceremonies.... were any old foes represented?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:22 PM   #27
MacGiollaEoin
Forum Regular

As far as I can tell from my readings of various articles on the centennial commemoration, the only representative of the former foe who was there was former German President Horst Koehler.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:29 PM   #28
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dally View Post
IIRC, Beaumont Hamel wasn't actually taken until November, when the 51st was chosen to lead the assault. The Newfoundlanders lost over 90% of their men trying to take it on July 1st. General Rawlinson insisted they advance even after the first wave disappeared under German machine gun fire and HQ ordered a stop to the attack.
The courage of the British and Commonwealth soldiers on that day is incredible and awe-inspiring. The arrogance and stupidity of the Rawlinson and other British Generals is breathtaking.
Commanders like that are murderers of their own men. My father, a patriotic Englishman, lost five uncles at the Somme, and never forgave the Army or the Establishment.